Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Interested in learning more about Monarch of the Seas

Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:13 AM
Stephanie

I would like to hear from some people that has sailed the Monarch of the Seas. I would like to know more about the ship, shore excursions, etc. I've sailed Carnival twice and loved it. This is my first experience with Royal Carribean and it's also my honeymoon. I would appreciate any advice that would make our cruise one to remember. I'm worried about the Monarch being so old. Is it still in good shape?Thanks.
Stephanie

Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Jack Sigano

While it's been some 5 years since we sailed on the Monarch, I still consider it to be one of the most beautiful ships we have been on. The main difference you will find between RCCL and Carnival is that RCCL is less glitzy and more elegant. (at least for us)The pace will be a little slower and the music less rock and more pop. Also there are more and better games to participate in to win trinket prizes. They have an excercise program where you earn ship's dollars for doing relatively easy exercises. At the end you can buy T shirts, caps, etc. with the money. Don't fret, just go and enjoy your honeymoon.

Mar 5th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Stehanie

Jack,
Thanks so much for sharing that information with me. Do you have any recomendations for shore excursions?
Thanks.
Steph

Mar 7th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Bob

Kinda have to disagree withhyour comment abut the Monarch being "so old" she was"born" in 96 or 97 . We were on her in 4/99 and she was in great shape. Know things can change but we had a great cruise. she is a beauty

Mar 7th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Marilyn

Bob, I think the Monarch is about 10 years old. I know we were on her 8 years ago. She was refurbished about the time you mention.

Mar 8th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Bob

'scuse me,. your absolutely right She was built in '91. I was thinking of another ship

Mar 10th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Chelsea

Stephanie,

We were on the Monarch of the Seas over Valentines Day and the ship was beautiful. Even though it is 10 years old it looks brand new. The service was great and you'll have a great time!

Mar 11th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Lisa

I haven't been on the Monarch in several years but thought I would pass this on. I'm a travel agent and had a group on there a couple of months ago. Of the eight couples that went five gave it rave reviews and three said it was not up to par at all. Major differences in opinion were about food and cabins. OH, well! Go have fun and form your own opinions because you can't always rely on others.

Mar 18th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Jim Crocker

I took my 1st cruise 3 years ago on the Monarch. Though I have nothing to compare it to we had a fantastic time. We would rather tour more islands and have less days at sea so this was a great cruise for that. The excursions were great and we got to see several different islands with several different languages and cultures. It should be even better now that they have replaced Martinique with St. Lucia. We heard Martinique was pretty but the people there have a reputation for rudeness, especially to Americans.
The service on board was great and the only thing we could complain about was that horrible coffee they serve.The food was excellent and there was so much to do on board you had tough decisions deciding which entertainment you wanted to see.

Apr 8th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Peter & Elaine

We have just got back off the Monarch and had a thoroughly enjoyable cruise.
Although the ship is 10 years old it is well maintained and the decor is pleasing. Our only complaint was a musty smell in the cabin shower which was probably due to the shower curtain needing changing. We have sailed Carnival before and found the Monarch to be as good. The main difference would be that the Monarch is a bit more laid back and not as noisy. Food and entertainment were great. We did not take any of the shore excursions from the ship as we have cruised before and decided to go our own way on the islands as we find this is better value. Example. On Antigua we went in a taxi with two people who we met on the cruise. We had checked where we wanted to go beforehand on the internet and the 4 of us spent the day in a 16 seater taxi touring the island. At one point we passed a fully laden taxi on a cruise ship excursion who were paying the island excursion tour price of $39 each for a 3 hr tour.
We were out for 6 hrs and the taxi cost us only $20 each. All the islands have rate cards at the taxi ranks and i feel doing it yourself is better value. The only exception to this is St Lucia when we did the land and sea excursion. This was an excellent tour and one we could not have done on our own because of the sea part. We had a great day. If you want to ask any more questions e-mail us and we will try to give you our opinions. I am not sure when you go so hope this is of use.

Apr 13th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Robin

Dear Stephanie,

My husband and I sailed on the Monarch last April. Before I was married I traveled on the Soverign of the Seas, one of the sister ships of the Monarch. Compared to the Soverign I thought that the Monarch was a bit shabby looking. It had just about the same layout, but it didn't have all of the shiny brass and special touches that the Soverign had. Our room was just satisfactory. They could definetely use some remodeling. Any of the meals we ate in the dining room were very good. When we ate at the Windjammer Cafe the food was just ok at best. We didn't do many of the excursions (They are very overpriced) since we like to do things on our own. We did however do the beach excursion over to Trunk Bay in Saint John when we went to Saint Thomas for half of a day in the afternoon. Trunk Bay is an absolutely beautiful beach! We also hired a taxi driver for the entire day when we were in port in Saint Lucia. It cost us about a hundred dollars and a nice tip. It was worth every penny. He took us all over the island to sight see, shop, etc... The beaches in Saint Lucia are not the greatest. Go to a resort called Ladera and check out the view. You won't believe it! Have a great time on your honeymoon.

May 18th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Richard T

My wife and I and another couple cruised on the Monarch in Oct. 2000.
I encourage you to check out www.travelpage.com. I've submitted a cruise ship reader review for the Monarch(Oct.2000)and also submitted a "Cruise and Flight Feedback(3-05-01) at their "CruiseTalk-Ports of Call and Destinations" forum page.
I hope the info may be enlightening and helpful. A cruise is a good value. I hope you enjoy yours.

May 25th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Shelley

Hi! We were on the Monarch February 2000. It was my first cruise and I did enjoy it. I found the service, food etc to be very good. Three of us had a interior cabin. I don't consider myself to be bothered by close quarters, but next time I would ask for an outside cabin, it was only $100-200 more. There are many excursions to choose from. One of my favorites was taking a boat from St. Thomas to the island of St.John- snorkelling tour- beautiful island. Many people also told me that it is cheaper to take a taxi to your destination- such as a beach than taking the ship tours. Because it was my first time, I went through the ship tours, I figured they know what is safe. I would sail with Royal Caribbean again. I hope you enjoy your cruise! I found the ship to be in good shape, I don't think it it that old.