Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Interested in dress code feedback for Uniworld European river cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/interested-in-dress-code-feedback-for-uniworld-european-river-cruises-899694/)

TJinSOMA Jul 21st, 2011 07:55 AM

Interested in dress code feedback for Uniworld European river cruises

I'm heading out next week on the Uniworld Rhine Discovery Cruise. I am going to bring a sport coat and slacks for the two more formal dinners. My question is regarding dress code for the other dinners. Are dark jeans and a collared shirt acceptable or will I stand out? I can bring slacks, but frankly it's vacation and I'm less than thrilled about putting on my business casual work uniform every evening for dinner. Appreciate any thoughts.

socaltraveler Jul 21st, 2011 08:17 AM

We took a Danube cruise with Uniworld in June. You will be fine with the sport coat/slacks for the two more formal dinners. And you are fine with your collared shirts for the rest. I personally think you will stand out in dark jeans at dinner. I understand the vacation part, but if what you wear concerns you, than I think your business casual work uniform is the way to go for dinners. With the age range from a few mid-40's to many late 60's, early 70's, we saw many men wearing suits every evening. My DH is a shorts kind of guy on vacation, but fit in nicely in khakis and collared shirts at dinner. Doubt you will be tossed from the dining room in dark jeans, but you will stand out.

TJinSOMA Jul 21st, 2011 09:12 AM

Much appreciated Socaltraveler. That's kind of what I thought on both the dress and the ages. I'm 45 taking my 80 year old father so I figured with the age bracket it would skew away from jeans. I'm definitely not wearing a suit or tie!! Appreciate the advice.

Percy Jul 21st, 2011 11:52 AM

Just got back from a Uniworld Danube cruise in June 2011.

For Breakfast and Lunch you can wear shorts.. many did as the weather was great.

I think I wore shorts to breakfast and lunch 90% of the time

You can wear shorts all day on the cruise boat if weather allows and you want do.

For dinner, they specify.." No Jeans or Shorts".

I agree with socaltraveler, you would stand out in Jeans at Dinner.

So dress slacks and a shirt is all you need.

After dinner we went back to our room and quickly changed back into shorts..... we had terrific weather from Buharest to Vienna ( 80 F to 95 F )

For the Captain's Farewell Dinner a few people wore a suit , but they were in the minority.

socaltraveler Jul 21st, 2011 02:32 PM

Agree with Percy, jeans and shorts are absolutely fine during the day. And while you are on the younger side, there were several multi-generational groups on our cruise, including a few grandchildren in their 20's. I think that you and your dad will have a great trip with Uniworld, we look forward to booking another trip with them.

Percy Jul 21st, 2011 02:57 PM

Hi socaltraveler

We had mainly people that were 50 and over on our Riverboat Cruise.

No Children, No Grandchildren .

All those that were 40 and under were the staff.

I have to add that I was very impresssed with Uniworld, the food, the service,the room and the tours were all great.

I cannot complain about anything.

Glad you also had a good time with Uniworld.

My next Uniworld River Cruise will be with them for sure.

Gee, I hope this does not sound like and advertisement :)

socaltraveler Jul 21st, 2011 03:32 PM

I know what you mean. I do feel like a walking advertisement for them, it was just such an excellent experience.

Cali Jul 21st, 2011 10:02 PM

Percy and Socaltraveler, I also feel like a walking ad for Uniworld. We had a wonderful cruise with them last year and are going on another cruise with them in Sept. We did have a variety of ages on our cruise but most were in the 40-70 age bracket.

Percy Jul 22nd, 2011 05:58 AM

Have a good time Cali

Where is your September cruise from and to .

Cali Jul 23rd, 2011 12:07 AM

Percy, we are going from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. Can't wait.

Percy Jul 23rd, 2011 08:41 AM

Good for you

I have been to Amsterdam and to Basel but not on a River Cruise.

Have a great time as I am sure you will.

TJinSOMA Aug 10th, 2011 06:52 PM

Back and loved Uniworld. Would do another river cruise and would definitely stick with Uniworld. The food was pretty good and crew and ship were great. We were on the River Countess which is being remodeled for 2012 and yet it didn't seem shabby or tired at all (and I'm really picky about hotel rooms).

The dress code advice was good (no jeans), however, I'm not sure I would take a sport coat on the next one. While most had them on, I wouldn't have felt out of place without it. Because it was warm, I pretty much walked into dining room wearing it and hung it over my chair.

Cali Aug 10th, 2011 11:42 PM

Glad you loved your cruise. We were on the River Beatrice last year when we went on a Danube Cruise and will be on the River Antoinette this year when we take the Rhine River Cruise. I am also very picky about hotel rooms and thought the rooms on the ship were first class.

anel_ns Sep 26th, 2011 07:29 AM

What i can tell you is that Uniworld is as exploitational as it gets - I have several friends working there, and the underbelly is terrible. These are decent, college graduates from eastern Europe who cannot find a job in their own countries. They are being mobbed, bullied, shouted at, sleep deprived, generally treated like waste of space.

The captains are often drunk (source: night watch), and the managers are bringing the people under them to tears with their screaming at every single perceived misstep because the ships within the company are so competitive amongst one another.

People are forced to work up to 90 days in a row (safety breach?), 12 hours per shift with no breaks, and to still be smiley and wavy constantly - the part the passengers see.
This company looses over 60% of its crew every season. People go on vacation never to return, or they just flee the ship and the madness.

If you do decide to go on these ships, and yes, they are nice, and the people will make you feel welcome, ask yourselves who is standing behind them with a whip.

Thank you.

- if you have seen this before, im sorry to spam :)

Lena

Percy Sep 26th, 2011 06:23 PM

Very interesting anel_ns!

you just became a member this months .....so you could vent on all the uniworld threads. !

supersue Aug 16th, 2015 10:29 AM

We went on our first river cruise with Uniworld in 2014. It was fabulous. NO complaints.

I saw absolutely no sign that the staff was being mistreated. Some did share that after their "tour" of a couple of cruises, they would have time off with their families.

I hope that they were well treated because many of us on board became very fond of the staff....to the point of giving gratuities in spite of their being included in the price.