Interested in Crusin

Search

Interested in Crusin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in Crusin

My husband and I have been dreaming to experience a cruise and Maybe it's our next plan after flying to Singapore this November. I want to hear your advice and suggestions regarding cruisin. How much budget do we need to prepare? Anyone, please?
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 02:39 AM

Did you ever take that six week trip you were planning last fall?

There are so many types of cruises from lux to budget, cabins from inside to grand suites, ships from small to large, itineraries from intense sightseeing to leisure beaches, length from 3 days to months going around the world, there is no answer to your question.

To get started, you will need to do your own research. There are many cruise websites. Vacationstogo lists many cruises you can compare. Cruisecritic.com has reviews of cruises, ships, etc.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 07:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>How much budget do we need to prepare? <<

That is absolutely unanswerable . . . sort of like asking how much does a car cost. A stripped down economy car or a full featured luxury model? Both are reliable transportation but cost 10's of thousands different.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 07:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Curious if you have not been on a cruise before why you posted to another tread: >>For a Baltic Cruise, light clothes are the most appropriate and sandals for footwear.<<. . . . how wold you know?
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:26 PM

Good question, Janisj
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM

All prices quoted below are in USD.

On a typical mass market ship (Carnival/Princess/Celebrity/RCCL/NCL), you can expect to pay approximately $100 a day per person for an inside cabin and $125 for Ocean View and $150 for a Balcony. With sales, last minute booking, shoulder season, re-positioning etc., pricing may varies.

Gratuity is around $12.50 per day per person. All food is free (except for the specialty restaurants). Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are not free. Expect to pay $7-$10 per alcoholic drink, $3-$5 for no alcoholic drinks. Drink packages are available.
Add your own spending money, souvenirs, duty free, shore excursions (tours), extra tips for ship staff, shore tour guides, drivers etc.

If you have never cruise before, I would suggest a short 7 day one close to home rather than in Asia, where language / customs may create unexpected challenges.

We did a 16 days back to back cruise in Japan last year, the first 8 days are full of Australians and the second 8 days are mostly Japanese. We enjoyed both cruises but we did encounter communication and challenges with fellow passengers (not in a bad way). What with different culture, customs, habits, language etc. Example: the Japanese people are all very "prompt" (on time) and they start lining up at 7 am before the MDR opens for breakfast so when we show up at the usual 7:30 / 8:00 , there is a long line up already. On all our previous cruises we took before, showing up at the MDR around 8 am for breakfast was never an issue with line ups.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
Curious if you have not been on a cruise before why you posted to another tread: >>For a Baltic Cruise, light clothes are the most appropriate and sandals for footwear.<<. . . . how wold you know?
The comment is probably on the land / shore portion and not on the cruise ship itself.

Personally, I will never ever wear sandals (beach being the exception). Sandals would be the worst footwear possible, maybe with the exception of high heels for the ladies.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, I appreciate all your suggestions. Actually, I'm canvassing for another cruise since our family has been interested in cruising and traveling to different places. It could be that you know more and traveled a lot than we were.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Has anyone cruised on the Road Scholar voyages?
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Why Road Scholar? I saw the Road Scholars on my most recent cruise with Holland America (Anchorage to Vancouver). I saw that they had extra lectures on board. I also noticed, and was not surprised, that their cabins were pretty crappy, on the Main Deck under public areas.

I don't know if RS has any cruises that aren't contracted out to other cruise lines. I would be careful about selecting them and inclined to try to find out what the options are to book those ships myself. If you are on a cruise ship you don't need RS in order to meet other people, if that's what concerns you.

A story about Road Scholar. I tried to book Galapagos with RS. I had done a lot of research about the time of year and itinerary, and used FF miles for the airfare. They cancelled me 3 months out which made rebooking difficult. At first their agent offered me a ridiculous financial compensation (on a $6-$7K trip) and to rebook me in the worst possible month (August-September). (Eventually after I commented on their FB page they upped the compensation for future trip.) I actually did some research and found out that the ship would be sailing anyways, and got a price from that company. But I also found a different cruise in my original time frame (fortunate that it had room for me as a single share and the second bed was not filled). So for half the cost I had a room to myself and an absolutely wonderful guide. It did screw up the rest of my month though, because the rebooked cruise was when I had hoped to go to a local Corpus Christi festival on mainland Ecuador. I also had to work in extra domestic flights back to Quito, instead of a logical plan.

BTW I also wasn't happy with RS on the trip I did in Colombia to use up my voucher. They had a crappy itinerary and we spent far too much time traveling between locations. We had some good hotels, although the two singles in the group were several times given especially bad rooms (often on a completely different floor!). So if you are wanting to do it because "there is no single supplement" I would be wary. For example, in Bogota I was put alone on a floor full of soccer team hooligans who were roaming up and down the hallway banging on doors. The front desk was totally uncooperative. I finally went down to the lobby and sat there with my luggage until they managed to find a room for me on the same floor as the rest of the participants. The other single (a man) was never moved from his floor, alone. No, the guide wasn't available to straighten that out. If they hadn't moved me, I had already checked and was ready to take a taxi to another hotel in Bogota where I had my final night.

I did like the guide and driver they used (their South American trips are arranged by Holbrook). The problem with Road Scholar is that they habitually nickle and dime on flights and hotel/cruise ship rooms to increase their net revenue (can't be called "profit") to the detriment of the tour. I believe that none of the other participants (from the West Coast at least) allowed RS to book their flights..they knew better.

My advice..try to book directly with the vendor.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 17th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.