Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

In search of your personal "Once in a lifetimes" in the Caribbean

Mar 7th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone! What are your "Personal best-of-the-bests" / "Once in a lifetimes?" in the Southern Caribbean? Let me back up a bit... I'm 34 and am taking a 7-day honeymoon cruise (neither of us have ever been on a cruise before) to the Southern Caribbean with my [soon-to-be] wife in mid-July, '09. Now, I realize the cruise line has multiple excursion opps. for each island, but we want to experience the "Must Do's!" and don't want to miss anything because we were "scheduled to sit on the beach" (Mind you, we both LOVE the beach, and plan to see / lounge / swim / etc. at many, but I feel there is also a plethora of other attractions.)

We're leaving from San Juan, with the itinerary: Bridgetown,Barbados / Casteries, St. Lucia / St. John's, Antigua / Phillipsburg, St. Maarten and St. Croix, U.S.V.I. I have never been to any of these, and would like to know your "Personal Must-Do's" for these islands. We will basically dock @ 8 am and be on land until 5:30pm, so not a lot of time, but I'm searching for the "Best-of-the-best," the "Once in a lifetimes" from your past voyages. Anything is game for us so please let me know so I can have the "Best-of-the-Best" honeymoon! Thanks~
Mar 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM

First of all congrats on you upcoming HM. A so. Caribbean cruise seems perfect to me as we've done this rte. twice. I can't really say what a "must do" is as everyones taste varies. If you like I can post some tour guides we used for St. Maarten, St. Lucia and Antigua who are top notch people and maybe you could tailor something using their expertise as private guides. Again congrats and best of luck. Come back with a tan.
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kindly, jacketwatch! If you wouldn't mind posting those tour guides, I'd be much abliged. Happy sailing & I'll work on that tan!
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM

[email protected]. This one is for Gordon. in Antigua. If you go the the Antigua board on cruisecritic you will see he has quite a few fans.
http://www.princepersonal.com/index.htm. This one is for St. Maarten. She put us in touch with a great driver, Berniece.
[email protected]. This is the guy we used for St. lucia, Spencer Ambrose. Again look him up on the St. Lucia board on cruisecritic. You will see how well reviewed he is.
Good luck. Larry
Mar 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM

The only thing I'd say for certain is that you should avoid cruise-ship excursions. If you want a once-in-a-lifetime experience, make sure you have private guides in each port. You can arrange many of the same activities on your own and avoid having to ride in a big bus with 50 other people.
Mar 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Amen to that.
Mar 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Plus it's cheaper without the minimum 25% mark ups.
However, don't miss the boat as they will not wait for you!
Mar 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Congrats on your honeymoon! This is silly and simple, but to me when I board a ship the first thing I do is flag down one of the many passing waiters and get my first drink of the day. Yes, its froo-froo and usually has an umbrella, but to me signals the start of a great trip.

Also make sure you take a stroll around the top deck of the ship late at night. Usually you can find a spot that is completely empty, and can enjoy the solitude with your honey while watching the stars. It gets so dark out there with no lights anywhere around that sometimes you can see the Milkyway. Its very cool.
Mar 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM

See the Pitons in St. Lucia. Unfortuately they are not near Castries, but maybe the ship will pass them by. If not, maybe you can take a sailing excursion that goes by them. Or possible you have arrange to have lunch at the Ladera resort overlooking the Pitons. The beaches in St. Lucia are not the great (though the snorkeling isn't bad), so you wouldn't be giving up fantastic beach time.