Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   If we don't do an excursion...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/if-we-dont-do-an-excursion-675874/)

sjde53 Feb 1st, 2007 05:01 PM

If we don't do an excursion...?

If we choose not to do an excursion in one or more of our ports--P. Vallarta , Mazatlan and Cabo-- will there be shopping within walking distance, restaurants, beaches? Thanks.

Sue

chicgeek Feb 1st, 2007 09:46 PM

You don't need to sign up for any excursions to do the beach/shopping thing. Just take a cab to the places you want to go. At all the ports there are plenty of cabs around.

In Cabo you will have to tender in to the dock. You can walk all over town from there. One restaurant we love is Pancho's, and there are a lot of shops around there.

In PV, you can walk to the Krystal Hotel. For $20/pp you can use their pool, beach lounges, palapas, etc., and the money is credit toward food and drink. We think that is a great bargain, since it is almost impossible to use that much credit up.

Or, in PV, take a cab to central downtown (where the church is) and walk along the beach front, and go to the area along the river where there is lots of shopping. And plenty of restaurants.

In Mazatlan, you can take an open-air cab to the Golden Zone, where there are lots of hotels w/ beaches, and plenty of shopping. We like the beach at Playa Mazatlan. They have a great restaurant right on the beach---I recommend the shrimp!

Have a great time!

Ida101 Feb 2nd, 2007 02:57 AM

In P. Vallarta you can take the citybus into town for just a few pesos. Bus leaves from the road close to the harbor.
Nice shopping in Old Town, visit the church, wealk along Malecon, have a nice place in one of the many restaurants.
In Cabo either walk around or take a watercab, that will show you beautiful spots like Los Arcos, Lovers Beach etc.

sjde53 Feb 2nd, 2007 08:41 AM

Thanks! Those were really helpful ideas. One more question-- there are probably several different places to shop in each port. What we're interested in is the Old Town. Chicgeek--were you talking about Old Town in PV? And is the Golden Zone in Mazatlan different from Old Town? Thanks again.

Sue

chicgeek Feb 2nd, 2007 03:04 PM

Yes, it is the Old Town area in PV---and the same as Ida has suggested. And in Mazatlan you could do both the Golden Zone and the Old Town area by taxi.

sjde53 Feb 2nd, 2007 07:06 PM

I suppose the nice thing about the excursions is the beach is swimmable and scenic and there are shade cabanas and changing facilities. But maybe the Krystal Hotel has all that?

Sue

chicgeek Feb 2nd, 2007 07:38 PM

I am not trying to talk you out of the excursions if they are going where you want to go. Where do they take you? The Krystal is within walking distance from the ship, has full resort facilities that you can use for $20 (which, like I said is applicable for food and drinks), a swimmable beach, pool, lounge chairs under palapas, etc.

A fun side-note about the Krystal. We were there for a week about 30 years ago, and we go there when we visit on cruises. The same beach waiter (Salvadore) has been there for 40 years, and is still as cute and friendly as ever!

sjde53 Feb 3rd, 2007 08:49 AM

In PV, the beach excursion is to a 5* hotel for $38. (Hotel is not named). 5 hours. Buffet lunch (I wonder how authentic?), a cocktail, use of the beach and/or pool, waterslides, umbrellas, free rental of boogie boards and kayaks--though limited availability, beach volleyball.

In Mazatlan, the beach excursion is to Los Sabalos Beach and the pool at Playa Mazatlan Resort, with a buffet lunch and shopping in the Golden Zone for $49.

Another choice is Stone Island Beach-30 minute Catamaran ride, open bar, rustic beach restaurant(not sure meal is included). A 5 hr excursion. 3 hours on the beach. $64

And in Cabo, Nikki Beach, 4 hrs, buffet lunch, pool also, $74. Or a 10 minute drive through town, then a 5 minute walk to Medano Beach, where you get chips, salsa and guacamole, 2 drinks, beach chairs and umbrellas, 3 1/2 hrs, $46.

Is the Golden Zone a high-end shopping district?

Sue

chicgeek Feb 3rd, 2007 10:04 AM

It sounds like you might be more comfortable doing the excursions than doing it on your own. The prices seem reasonable, and you may feel more at ease. We have been to Mexico many times, so feel very comfortable doing our own thing.

Yes, the Golden Zone has some very nice shops. I wish I could remember the name of a shop there that sells the most gorgeous pottery and glass. The quality rivals anything we saw in Italy, and is very pricey, but beautiful.