I need help with dress code

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be doing our first cruise ( transatlantic) on QM II this coming September. According to my current information, there will be three formal nights, two semi-formal nights and an elegant casual night. Being a newbie to this, I'm not quite sure what actually comprises evening dress for women on the formal nights. I found a dress I really like. It's beaded/sequined, but it is short. Can I wear this for a formal night? In other words, does formal mean long gown?

I would appreciate any advice as to what to wear.

Thanks
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Things have changed through the years. You will have people who dressed to the 9s for "formal nights", but really, any type of evening wear, buisness attires, cocktail dresses, gowns will be suitable for ladies and a suit and tie for men is sufficient. Formals does not mean long gown for ladies. It hasn't been for years.

The rest of the time, "smart causual" is the operative term and it would be items with collars and sleeves for men (golf shirt etc), no tees, no tanks; and similar for ladies.

Here is a link to some FQA for first timers. Hope it's helpful.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/area.cfm?ID=13
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Seeing as you tagged your question under "Cunard", I'd advise you to go over to the Cunard board/forum on Cruise Critic and ask your question there. Over the years the dress code has relaxed somewhat on most cruise lines, but I believe Cunard is a fairly unique "kettle of fish" when it comes to dress code.
I've read posts over there about hats, ascots, shirts with logos, upmarket clothing - perhaps you might be safer to discuss all your options over there, with people who are regular Cunard cruisers.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I agree that Cunard seems to be unique in its dress code and thus my query. I'm thinking that a short dress would likely be fine for formal nights if it is sufficently dressy but will check on Cruise Critic. However, I refuse to do a hat I believe that might be one of their special events which can be passsed up if one wants. Will check anyway.

Thanks
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cunard is, IMO, no more "unique" in its dress code than some of the other cruise lines. If you read THEIR information carefully you'll see they all would LOVE to have people show up in long gowns and tuxes but that just isn't happening anymore the way it used to (at least when I first cruised back in the early 1980's).

The Cunard information <B>I</B> read was quite clear that a tux OR a dark suit, etec., is perfectly acceptable

And let's face facts here...if you've goot decent legs and a great smile, NOBODY, except perhaps some jealous other woman, is going to

keep you out of the party
throw you over the side
do anything to ruin your cruise

GO for it
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I have bought the dress and will wear it for one of the formal nights. Not sure I have great legs, but they're okay, and I can manage a great smile I had the same thoughts...it's unlikely that they will throw me out, after all it is a very nice dress just not a long gown. One of the problems I've encountered is in trying to find a long dress with sleeves that doesn't look dowdy.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:27 AM

Yes, of course you can wear a long dress. I was on the Queen Mary 2 in November for 12 days and will be again in 2018. Here is a good suggestion take along a full length black velvet skirt and a pair of black velvet pants and mix and match with some pretty tops, makes things simple. Daytime is very casual so no need to worry about that. A few tips other than clothing. If you enjoy coffee take a can and a French press for your room being as the coffee they provide is disgusting, bring a can of Air Freshener for your room to freshen the room you will be glad you did. Try the Kings Court the food is great. You will love the Queen Mary 2 and will probably get hooked like the rest of us and by the way if you enjoy soda bring some for your room it is priced very high if you use what is in your fridge. Have a great trip !!
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:28 AM

Sorry, meant to say short dress !!
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Just to note this thread is nearly 8 years old. I did purchase several special outfits for the trip. What I found out was that I shoukdn’t have bothered. I swear the first night which was classified as informal but men were to wear jackets and ladies smart casual. Well, that apparently covers a wider range than I would’ve thought. I remember seeing several women that looked as if they had bought their smart casual at a charity shop in the 50’s and a few that looked like they were going to the prom. I still have a couple of outfits that I haven’t worn since and wish I had been far more conservation in my purchases.

BTW, I was bored most of the trip. There was a Clarendon Art Gallery which held daily talks,and I found it excellent. We had dinner in the dinning room the first night, and I really don’t enjoy dinning with several hundred people. The waiters reminded me of pirates, no smiles. The sommelier didn’t get to our table until everyone ( except myself) had finished their appetizers. I was determined to wait for my wine, in fact by this time, I was ready to abandon ship or at least return to my room, put on my robe and order a cheeseburger and bottle of prosecco from room service. Our dinner companions were only interested in telling us about their trips to Spain and Ireland with absolutely no interest in our travel experiences or anything else about us. Was asked several times what Mr. H. did. We just sat and politely listened to their stories. The next day, Mr. H. made a booking in the Todd English restaurant. We had a fabulous meal ( the food in dinning room was barely edible )and very attentive service. We dined there the remaining evenings, and it was the one positives of the trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:16 AM

Was I correct about the "dress code?" I bet you looked great, too.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes Duckey1, you were right about dress code, and I did look fabulous �� but could've done much the same without spending so much. Guess Cunard likes to promote itself as the classiest cruise ship thus all the pictures in their brochures of beautiful people in gorgeous clothes. The reality was much different.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 11:11 AM

i remember when we started cruising back in the late 1970's. We packed the tuxes and enjoyed wearing them but even then the cruise line made it clear that men in suits were OK (as if they were going to throw them out of the dining room if they didn't measure up or something..yeah, sure). We began hearing how cruises on the west coast of the US were starting to lighten up on the dress code and as time has gone on so many things have changed. no more midnight buffets every night; room service now coming with fees on some ships. Teakwood decks a thing of the past and so forth.

BUT those brochures rarely ever show anyone who seems somehow unsightly(you have to wait to board to see those folks) and now I am reading complaints that cruise lines are somehow enforcing "class differences" by giving those who pay more for a cabin more in return. But we sail on. Glad you had a good time.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 10:24 PM

If you're in London, go and see the exhibition at the V&A on ocean liners, that is on at the moment. It's excellent.
There's a late 60s outfit from a very fashionable gentleman, who thought that what was worn in London in those days was acceptible as formal wear on this cruise.
It wasn't
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Tulips, thanks for that information, I know I would enjoy the exhibition but, unfortunately, will be a week too late.