Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

I can not afford to cruise anymore (and I am sad about it)

Jun 29th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I strongly believe that the cruise industry is going to be hurting big time in 2009 on-word.

They have overbuilt (just like Las Vegas and Orlando) and now their fixed costs and expected profit is to high for most middle class cruisers.

The good old days of the $400 week long cruise and the $150 RT fare to Florida is gone. It is replaced by the $900 cruise (before taxes, tips, shore excursions and fuel surcharges)

Airfares are sky high and the cost of a motel in Miami or San Juan the night before the cruise has gone way up.

With gasoline costs going sky high, home energy (natural gas/electric going even higher and medical insurance costs skyrocketing, myself and most of my middle class friends can not afford to cruise anymore.

I do not blame the airlines or cruise ships, they have higher costs but ......
Jul 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Because there are so many people in your situation, I'm sure the cruise lines are going to find some way to do some price cutting to fill their ships.
Jul 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Intellectual - I agree with what you are saying completely, and suspect that all parts of the travel industry are going to be hurting. As we all pay more for our necessities, we have less for entertainment and vacation.

I'm a middle class cruiser also and after my next cruise (Dec 08), I'll be vacationing less often and looking for ways to travel less expensively. It's great now to have booked an expensive Christmas cruise which I will completely enjoy --- but beyond that, I'll be looking for ways to save on other extras in my life (dinners out, clothing I don't really need but purchase on a whim, Starbucks!, brownbagging rather than going out to lunch at work, etc.) so I can continue to cruise, even if I have to do so much less often.
Jul 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I found these deals, see if any fits your budget:

http://www.expedia.com/daily/deals/d...asp?rfrr=-1490
Jul 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Take up a Dave Ramsey Course. Is not easy, but it works. Follow his guidance too a T, and you'll never walk along.You'll have the necessary funds to do all those fun things, including Cruising. It has work for us. Good Luck. See you on Board.
Jul 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I've seen a few $399 and even $349, 7 day cruises lately. (But taxes, tips and fuel surcharge must now be added.) Our best ever price was $299 for balcony cabin on deck 9 (our favorite deck)on Costa Magica.That was very last minute, less than a week, but we can do last minutes. Also 2 years ago paid $449 for 10 days on Princess, booked few months before. Found both prices on the cruise line's own web sites. But check cruise.com.,etc. & those types of cruise agencies -. Your local TA is usually higher than these companies.
We drive from NC beach and stay in Daytona area night before. Hotels not as pricy as Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and easy drive morning of cruise. Usually pay about $45. They have a 'magazine'(?) that lists hotels and their rates at the visitor's centers. We have used old ones to find and call hotels.
Lower prices are out there, you just have to find them.