Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   How to stop loud snoring with 3 rommates. (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/how-to-stop-loud-snoring-with-3-rommates-267804/)

Ken Stein Oct 22nd, 2002 03:14 PM

How to stop loud snoring with 3 rommates.

I'm leaving in three days aboard a single cruise on the Carnival Imagination. I am sharing my cabin with 2 other people. The last roommate said I snored loud. Is there anything or any product that will reduce or stop snoring? Any comments will be helpful.

judy Oct 25th, 2002 04:03 AM

As one who sleeps with earplugs EVERY night thanks to my snoring husband, I highly recommend the spongy-type earplugs they sell in the drugstore. I've tried them all. The waxy, moldable ones just don't do it for me--they create like a suction that makes it feel like your brain's coming out. The harder plastic ones hurt like hell and don't seem to reduce noise. The spongy ones reduce noise SIGNIFICANTLY yet I can still hear the alarm clock. And, you know, if you forget to bring them, ask one of the ship's engineers for a couple of pairs--they tend to use them in the engine room.

gail Oct 25th, 2002 04:22 AM

People snore for a lot of different reasons, but for some people those &quot;Breathe-Rite&quot; nose strips work to at least reduce the din - you can get them at any pharmacy and they are fairly inexpensive. Make sure you apply them properly - right place on your nose and be cautioned that they seem to remove a layer of skin when you remove them. (They actually work on my mother who lives alone but when I travel with her it sounds like I am in the engine of a jet unless she wears them)<BR><BR>Don't know where you can get the cool ones with the flag logos that all the NFL guys seem to be wearing these days.

Susan Oct 25th, 2002 06:08 AM

Ken: Bless you for thinking of others! I have had to share rooms with people who snore and as a light sleeper it's always bugged me when these people respond with &quot;I dont snore&quot; or &quot;it cant be that bad&quot;. To a light sleeper it's always felt like they are getting their rest at my expense. I try to understand that they don't do it on purpose, but my nerves get frayed after a few nights with no sleep, so, to hear someone both admit it and ask for help is super! Hope you have a great cruise and everyone gets all the sleep they need!

Peter Oct 25th, 2002 06:25 AM

Ken - many people who snore have what is called sleep apnea - a medical condition where you actually stop breathing for short periods - sometimes many times a night. Those that have it real bad need a machine and mask to keep them breathing regularly all night. While, in most cases, it is not life-threatening, it does keep one from getting the needed deep sleep and they wake up still tired and not fully rested.<BR><BR>Most with sleep apnea have restricted airways in the nose or throat that constricts the flow of air to the lungs. This can be anything from a deviated septum to excess fatty tissue in the throat. The result is almost always loud snoring and gasping.<BR><BR>If you do snore loudly most every night and you generally feel tired and lack energy - you might want to have it checked out with your physician.