Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   How to pack for Alaska land sea cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/how-to-pack-for-alaska-land-sea-cruise-1049780/)

DeeMck Jul 3rd, 2015 08:02 AM

How to pack for Alaska land sea cruise

Taking HAL in late August. Land first then sea portion. Looking for suggestions on packing for land part. Will be on buses, small plane and train to meet ship. What kind of shoes for land. Some say hiking boots, although we aren't hikers. Others say tennis shoes. Want comfort and weather proof not knowing what to expect.

Eschew Jul 3rd, 2015 01:36 PM

Comfortable, waterproof shoes are must. If you are non hikers, cross trainers probably would do the trick. Dress in layers as the weather could be very unpredictable. Bring gloves, scarfs etc. Hoodies are good and a light weight water proof jacket to on top is a must.

DeeMck Jul 5th, 2015 07:18 AM

Thanks for the info. We have been told that we can't use a regular carry on roller bag for the land portion. Have you experienced that?

jacketwatch Jul 5th, 2015 07:43 AM

I agree with Eschew especially about a waterproof exterior jacket.

I don't know about the roller bag. I assume you are doing the land portion first so therefore they must have a way of toting your luggage. Do they mean you can't have a roller bag with you in the coach?

Also I suggest bringing a good pair of binoculars.

Cheers, Larry. :).

Eschew Jul 5th, 2015 12:58 PM

They probably meant you cant have a carry on roller bag inside the coach. To be honest, I just use a small cross shoulder backpack (no bigger than a big purse) with me that I can stuff a few small items in: a rain poncho (or my folding lightweight waterproof jacket), spare battery for the camera, a bottled water, a shower cap (for covering my camera when it rains), snacks such as chocolate bar or nuts, compartment for ID and cash, prescriptions, hand sanitiser, Kleenex etc.

ira Jul 7th, 2015 08:30 AM

Hi Dee,

>They probably meant you cant have a carry on roller bag inside the coach.

Your large suitcase (if any) goes right to the ship.

Your "carry on" is either toted under the passenger compartment of the bus or trucked to your next destination.

Bring a tote bag or a small pack for on the bus.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

annw Jul 7th, 2015 09:13 PM

We're going on HAL this summer, also to Alaska, for first cruise, but I have read that you should bring two pair of waterproof/leather walking shoes -- I too would bring a day pack for excursions.

Our experienced cruise friends say bring 2 binoculars if there are two of you so you don't have to swap them off when you see something interesting -- they are actually lending us two pair for the trip.

I got us each a Gore-tex jacket on Ebay for the trip as well -- we will layer with shirt, sweater, and the light jackets.

gail Jul 9th, 2015 01:40 AM

Princess, not HAL, but when we self-drove Alaska and then did cruise I made mistake of taking too many dress-up clothes for cruise part. We found dress to be far more casual and practical on cruise, even at dinner, than warm-water cruises we have taken.

If you are starting and ending land at same hotel, would they store a bag of cruise clothes for a week?