Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   How to make the most when at port (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/how-to-make-the-most-when-at-port-906163/)

kar1314 Sep 14th, 2011 05:48 PM

How to make the most when at port

Hi

Am going on a cruise for the first time and am starting to wonder how I'm going to fit in all the things I want to see when we port. We are leaving from Miami and port in Half Moon Cay Bahamas, St. Thomas USVI, San Juan Puerto Rico and Grand Turk Turks and Caicos. I like to hike, explore new cities/ architect, scuba dive, relax on the beach and there just isn't enough time to do everything in each place.

Does anyone have a must-do/ see in any of the above places?

Thanks,

Kelsi

abram Sep 14th, 2011 08:13 PM

I believe that Half Moon Cay is the cruise line's "private" island--so beachy activities are the thing to do there.

We've been to St Thomas a few times. One time, we took a cab to Coral World and Coki Beach next door. Another, we took the ferry to St John's, went on an island tour, and snorkeled at Trunk Bay. Another, we did a self-guided historical walking tour of Charlote Amalie. Liked all three days.

The Ports Of Call boards at www.cruisecritic.com are an excellent place to find our what there is to do.

qwovadis Sep 15th, 2011 03:48 AM

cruisecritic.com reviews for your ship for best info

El Yunque Rain Forest in PR a must see for hiking

St John maho.org nice to ferry to from St Thomas

magenspoint.com nice along with shopping there

Dayenu Sep 15th, 2011 02:54 PM

"how I'm going to fit in all the things I want to see when we port"

you don't, this is why you will keep coming back :)

Eschew Sep 15th, 2011 03:09 PM

Half Moon Cay is HAL's private araea. Good for water sport and snokrel. Carnival ships also stop there as well. Let's hope that your ship is by itself when it is there.

St Thomas most famous beach is Magen's Beach. rated top 10 in the world. We spent a very Relaxing beach day there. There is an admission fee to access the area (I think it is inside a National Park). There is a place where you can buy food and souvenirs.

San Juan has lots to see and do. The old city and the walls would be a good fit for you as you said you like to explore cities/ architect. That can easily take up most of your day in San Juan. Many great local restauarnts.

Grand Turk woudl be your stop to Scuba dive.

So, there you ahve it, water sport at Half Moon cay, relaxing beach day at St Thomas, old city tour in San Juan, and Scuba Dive in Grand Turk. That covers everything on your list!

kar1314 Sep 17th, 2011 03:41 AM

Thanks everyone:)

KVR Sep 18th, 2011 09:21 AM

You won't be able to fit everything you want to see and do in a cruise stop.

Look at the offered shore excursions for your ship's stops and see if there is anything that will interest you. Many people just hire a taxi that will take them on a sightseeing tour or rent a car and do this themselves.

Read the Ports of Call forums on cruise Critic fro your ports and see what the most popular/highly recommended things to see and do.

We just returned from an Alaskan Cruise and chose the most popular port tour and had still had a little time to walk around town, eat lunch, take get pictures and buy a few souvinors.