Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   How long can I wait to book an early Sept. Alaska cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/how-long-can-i-wait-to-book-an-early-sept-alaska-cruise-483160/)

katybird Oct 29th, 2004 05:22 AM

How long can I wait to book an early Sept. Alaska cruise?

Will I get a better rate if I wait until around Jan/Feb? We definitely want an ocean view or balcony if the price is right. The ship isn't important but we prefer a cruise that includes Glacier Bay.

triathlete Oct 29th, 2004 07:45 AM

Katy:

I'd book now. Demand grew faster than the fleet this year, and ships are selling out quickly.

As long as you book with an agency that doesn't have their own cancellation fee, if you find a better rate in January or February you'll still be far enough out to cancel and rebook with no cruise line cancellation penalty.

Cheers!

mmp13 Nov 1st, 2004 10:51 AM

I would book early. If there is a price drop you will get the lower price. However, it seems to me that prices have been going up. We are booked on a carribean cruise next Oct and the price has already gone up twice since we booked! We are glad we booked so early since they never raise your price once you book!

BudgetQueen Nov 1st, 2004 12:17 PM

For clairfication- KEEP TRACK OF PRICING TRENDS YOURSELF. Don't leave it to a TA. If you note a price drop immediately contact your booking agent for a refund. BUT if you are attached to a particular cabin you may not have as many options for lower pricing. If you are locked into a particular week and are NOT flexable to ship- book something refundable now. Then keep looking. I rarely book more than 90 days ahead myself and have always gotten discounted deals.

katybird Nov 1st, 2004 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I don't have a TA. Budgetqueen, would you care to recommend someone in the Syracuse area? Everyone near me has gone out of business!

We are very flexible as to dates, ship, cabin location. We do prefer an ocean view.

Another question - Is it possible to get an ocean view cabin for 2 for under $2000 or am I dreaming? I can't find anything right now online for under that price. I am looking at Princess, NCL and Holland America for the glacier bay cruises.

Thanks again everyone!

BudgetQueen Nov 2nd, 2004 05:14 AM

I don't use TA's and book via online with the cheapest and best deal. I am loyal to no one and need no more than a valid booking. Consider getting on several emali lists, check out the shopping page at www.cruisemates.com etc. You should be able to find something in your price range. In the past Princess and HAL had the best bargains starting about 3-4 months ahead.

katybird Nov 2nd, 2004 12:38 PM

BudgetQueen, Thanks once again for all your help. I am on several email lists and will just keep looking. We have booked 2 cruises on the internet and have had good luck so that might be the way to go once again.

mscarls Nov 5th, 2004 05:35 PM

If you are going to want to add on a land tour offered by the cruise line, you may need to book earlier rather than later.
Last year we booked an August Alakan Cruise with Celebrity four months in advance, and the land tours were already sold out. So were most of the independent land tours.
We loved the Summit

BudgetQueen Nov 6th, 2004 04:30 AM

I am no fan of cruisetours- they are significantly lacking in many areas and are way costly for what you get. Independent touring is superior interior for YOUR choice of interest at your schedule, you can clearly see twice as much for half the cost. I rarely book independently before 60 days and have always been able to make my plans. But if something is a must do, as soon as you have your schedule then book it- be aware of cancelation policies.