How is October for Carribean cruising?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:56 PM
cd

How is October for Carribean cruising?

Is this a season to avoid? Thank you.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM
xxx

Commonly called hurricaine season...<BR>Some say go-- I usually do NOT go on s cruise in OCT-ESP WEST CARIB....as Mexico always gets hit with a hurracaine

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:40 PM
cd

Thanks xxx<BR>I thought I had read that!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
BeachBoi

Historically,good &quot;deals&quot; abound during September and October.Oficially,hurricane season is June 1-November 30.I've cruised in every season and had no really devestating effects.Everybody is different in likes/dislikes.Its up to you.HTH<BR>BB

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Peter

I hope the &quot;editor&quot; sent the responses to my thread about Fodors taking the fun out of this board to Danny M. before he/she blew it away. It had eight responses in two hours - more than most of the cruise topic threads get in their lifetime. The readers were trying to tell Fodors something - more editing, less fun, fewer hits on the website, lower advertising revenues and finally, NO MORE FODORS! Come on - get with it or you (Mr. Editor) won't have a job.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Cruiser

Yes CD--You can cruise during Oct. I did 2 cruises this Oct. Of the 8 ports, we only missed one due to a storm.<BR>The prices are great--but plan ahead. Get to the port a day or so early (in case airport is closed due to a pending hurricane, etc.), realize you might not make it to all ports (don't pay for excursions in advance unless you are sure you can get your money back--or book them through the ship).<BR> <BR>When bad weather approaches, the ship can sail elsewhere (I take a cruise that has an east and west itinerary so the ship can easily makes switches)---it worked this year several times for Celebrity ships.<BR><BR>Like BeachBoi said--it's up to you.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Paul Therault

I have been cruising in the fall every year for many years. I have never missed a port. Had to leave Aruba early once due to a hurricane but we were there overnight anyway.<BR>I believe the odds are 99% that you will have a cruise. Maybe not to the islands you are scheduled for, but you will have a cruise at one heck of a great price.<BR><BR>One should plan ahead since if the hurricane is due to hit an area at the ship's home port you will be delayed a day and will have to find a hotel for the night (they will not let you on the ship). If you purchased cruise-line air they will put you up for the night in a complimentary hotel. Or if you are scheduled to come back to the home port and the ship can not make it in due to a hurricane you will be at sea almost an extra day.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:14 AM
cd

Thanks everyone, sure appreciate the help!