Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

How formal are the formal nights on Celebrity Constellation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on an 11 night cruise in Jan. on the Celebrity Constellation. There are 3 formal nights which they suggest ladies have evening gowns, men tuxes. Do most people do this? Would just a sports jacket, shirt and tie and long pants be acceptable? Sequined top and pants for me?

We don't want to be the only ones dressed inappropriately but wondered what the actual dress is.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Celebrity is known for its formal dressing. The majorty will wear a tuxedo and ladies in evening gowns. Of course a nice long skirt with different tops will be fine, as will be dressy long pants.
Better no sportsjacket on formal nights.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Yes, save the sports jacket for informal nights!!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I just returned from 2 weeks in the Baltic States on the Connie. Yes, she is formal. Formal nites had men in tuxes or dark suits (I must admit I saw more dark suits than tuxes). Women were in long dresses or skirts/tops. The sports coat is good for informal nites. Also, no shorts or jeans at any time in the main dining room. They will ask you to leave.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM

We were on week long Celebrity Century cruise in February - late dinner seating. Few tuxes on men, but everyone else was in dark suit. Women wsere a more diverse group - everything from your sequined top/pants to gowns.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like my husband's dark suit will be fine.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM

A suit is perfectly fine and what I would recommend. They recommend a dark suit but the dress police wouldn't say word one short of jeans and sneakers, even on formal night. On our cruise on the Constellation's sister ship Millenium few people wore tuxes and sport jackets with or without ties were not all that uncommon on formal nights (though suit and tie seemed to be the norm). Still, a far better dressed crowd on average than NCL or Carnival.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:13 AM

After many years of cruising I believe there is a definite trend toward less formal evening clothes.
There are still some tux/evening gowns but suits for men are definitely more prevalent and women can can feel very comfortable in black pants/skirt with dressy tops.
Dont fret over clothes--have a great cruise.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Going on an 11 night cruise which has 3 formal nights almost made me NOT want to go thinking of all of the clothes we'd need. We're NOT slobs but wanted to hear about the reality of what is being worn.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:08 AM

teacherD,
It's not as bad as it sounds! My husband used to do tuxes but now just takes a nice black suit. We found an ez care ruffled shirt at a Formal/Bridal shop and a rather formal black tie with snaps (hard to explain) and he looks just fine and much easier to pack.

I always take a pair of black chiffony pants and 2 or 3 fancy tops (NOT SEQUINS! - too heavy and hot)and feel just fine. If it's at a cool location, I add a small black velvet jacket as the DR can be coolish.

There will be a few gowns - not nearly as many now as in the past - usually tuxes and black suits are about half in half.

Or you can skip the dining room and eat upstairs in a lovely room with gorgeous views (if it's main seating)

Hope it works out for you.

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:58 AM

IME, Med cruises are quite formal, as are cruises on Celebrity. There will likely be about half the men in tuxes and the rest in dark suits. Ladies will run the gamut from evening gowns to dressy separates.

I have several matte jersey long dresses which I like for cruises. They are easy to pack, take up very little space and and are freshened up by spending a bit of time in the bathroom while I shower. Separates are also great and your top and pants will be fine.

Your husband can do as many choose these days with the new air line restrictions and rent a tux on board. He simply calls in his sizes and it is left waiting in the closet. He will get enough shirts for the duration and can opt to add shoes, etc. as he wishes.

IMO, a sport coat is a bit too casual.