Honeymoon cruise to Alaska

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon cruise to Alaska

We're buying our son and his wife-to-be a cruise to Alaska for their honeymoon (hopefully, mid-August).

He's 24, into a casual atmosphere (rather than dress-up), and is more interested in scenery and relaxation than night life and partying.

As we've never cruised, we don't know which line(s) fit their needs best...and how/where to get the best fare.

The smaller ships seem best, but they're out of our price range.

We're near San Jose; I suspect we'd look for something out of Vancouver for 5 days or so, preferably leaving around Aug. 15.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM

If he wants casual, NCL is the best choice with their casual onboard ambiance and only one optional formal night.

Steer clear of HAL and Celebrity (my preference) as they attract a more formal crowd.

Princess could also be an option as they have Personal Choice dining and your son could choose a casual dining option on formal nights.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM

I don't think you will find a 5 night cruise for Alaska. I think out of Vancouver and Seattle they are ll 7 day cruises.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Correct, all Alaska cruises on the major lines are 7 days.

At this late date, you may have some limits on availablity. But I would also suggest the NCL line, very casual, but look at the Star, round trip Seattle with Glacier Bay. I would not recommend Princess round trip Seattles- they don't have round trip Vacouver since their itinerary is lacking.

Key points to consider- time in ports, round trip Seattle sailings sometimes don't have enough. Glacier- Glacier Bay is the top choice in my opinion.

Round trip Vancouver offer wonderful scenic inside Vancouver Island sailing which is a big plus, but I don't recommend NCL Wind for poor port times and odd itinerary.

HAL has the best round trip Vancouver itinerary with Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Does have some formal dining but it can be skipped for room service, buffet etc.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:23 AM
cd

Kimnjerry
We leave in two days for Vancouver and will be taking the HAL cruise. We are also into casual atmosphere rather then dress-up. However, after asking a lot of questions here and doing a lot research here and at CruiseCritic we felt that the HAL cruise offered the best itinerary with good marks for food and the shore excursions we are taking are from locals.