Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Help w/Cozumel excusion w/o scuba or snorkel.

Help w/Cozumel excusion w/o scuba or snorkel.

Feb 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Help w/Cozumel excusion w/o scuba or snorkel.

We aren't so much interested in the beach/scuba/saililng because we do that at home, so I'm thinking about something else. DH and I are just looking to enjoy some quiet adult time, not a crowded beach. I'd like to so some shopping for local craft. Have a few drinks, not in a 'party zone.'

I've done some research and a few names keep coming up. Has anyone a recommendation on any of these?

-renting a jeep and venturing out on our own. Can we check out some high end resorts for future travels?

-Mr Sanchos where we'd like to check out the horseback riding and wave runners.

-Isla Pasion sounds like a quiet beach that we could do the jeep ride with.

-Chankanaab Park sounds pretty.

-Nachi-Cocom?

So, we'd like to drive a jeep or ride horses. Drink a little, shop a little. What should we do? I do prefer to book this on my own, not the ship.

TIA
Kristine

Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
TC

I notice you posted this with the tag "cruises", so assumming you are only on the island for one day. To answer: yes, you can rent a jeep (or a VW) and venture out on you own. The only real high end resorts to check out would be the Occidentals on the south end and they aren't too friendly regarding "tourists". At the other places you mention you will find them filled with other cruise ship passengers. They all have deals with the cruise lines. Ilsa Passion is actually owned by one of the cruise lines and is filled to overflowing with party people. Chankanaab is a large park and will also have a lot of people. Its very touristy. Nachi might be better as the big crowds are at Mr. Sanchos and San Francisco.

For shopping you need to go into town. No better place. For quiet drinks -- on cruise ship days, you'll be hard pressed to find. You might try taking a picnic and a bottle of wine (all available at the Mega grocery/deli on the south end of main street) and finding your own slice of heaven on a deserted stretch of beach on "the other side" of the island.
There is also a horse back riding ranch on that side.
Mar 9th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Been crusiing through Cozumel a few times but has yet to explore the island much.

I know you have not mentioned Mayan ruins on your to do list but it should be a consideration, both on the island and across to the mainland.

Tulum and Coba are very good and they are totally different. If you don't like crowds, Coba is probably better as it is more out of the way (at least for cruise ship excurison anyway).

On the is;and itself, Punta Sur Light House and the beach area around there are quite nice. Below is a link to the island map from official Cozumel web site.

http://www.islacozumel.com.mx/eng/dest-maps.asp
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Mr Sanchos is always a good choice.
Check http://www.beachtours.com.mx/beachtours/

Search this Thread