Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Help me decide! (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/help-me-decide-108271/)

Betsy Dunn Feb 25th, 2001 04:55 AM

Help me decide!

My family is planning a cruise for Easter week 2002 for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday to the Western Caribbean. My sister-in-law seems pretty intent on the Princess Line (Grand), but I would like to hear opinions comparing it to RCCL (Voyager) There will be many ages along, from 13 to 80! HELP!

Jack Sigano Feb 25th, 2001 06:25 AM

Both lines are good. If there is a difference, it is that the Voyager has more activities for the young, such as a rock climbing wall and skating rink. Of the two, Princess is slightly geared more toward mature cruisers. The music may be a little softer. I have not been on either of these ships, however I have sailed with both lines and I would rate the food on Princess quite a bit better. (at least that's my opinion)RCCL probably has more games and with the excersize programs the kids can get free T shirts, caps, etc. If it's the first cruise for anyone, they will enjoy either one.

Tanya Feb 26th, 2001 05:34 AM

I watched last evening (Feb 25th) a show on cruising (all the stuff you wondered about but don't really care once you board the ship). It featured the Princess Grand. The show was on the The Learning Channel (TLC). From the looks of it, I would say it is quite a ship with a capable captain and crew

Greg Gallagher Feb 26th, 2001 01:26 PM

Hi Betsy, <BR> <BR>I have made it a point to warn people about RCCL, since my Honeymoon from Hell. This is only my opinion, but I think you should know. <BR> <BR>The food in the casual dining area which claims to be the same elegant cuisine as the main dining area is served cafeteria style with the same fixin's you can get at any bad backyard barbecue. <BR> <BR>While I was in the main disco, which is supposed to be reserved for people over twenty-one at a certain hour, my wife and I had the luxury of being exposed to children obviously under sixteen. When I asked the staff to have them leave, he replied he didn't want to offend the parents. I saw a program on T.L.C. after my cruise, and from the looks of it I would go with Disney. I have since heard many favorable things about them, and many unfavorable things about RCCL. Good Luck in your hunting.

Gail Feb 26th, 2001 03:18 PM

Please don't let the previous poster's one bad experience discourage you from Sailing Royal Caribbean. I have sailed with them five times and loved every one. You can have a bad experience on any cruise line or any hotel.

Betsy Dunn Feb 26th, 2001 06:57 PM

Thanks for the responses....I think we have pretty much decided on the Grand, reason being is that they seem to have the most verandahs of any of the lines, without having to spend too, too much. Now the only problem is trying to figure out which deck!! I've heard that most of the balconies are not all that private, overlapping one another. Any suggestions out there on this? This is getting too hard.....I hope it's all worth it in the end. :)