Heathrow to Dover

Apr 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Heathrow to Dover

Does anyone know the approximate cost of traveling from Heathrow to Dover via rail system? I've checked a few websites and have found different prices on each.
Thanks!!
Apr 27th, 2009, 06:24 AM

First off, you'll have to get into London to catch the train. You can take a train from either Charing Cross or Victoria; sadly, neither is connected directly to Heathrow, but Charing Cross is actually on the District Line (the Tube) and you can change at South Kensington, but that's not a good option if you have a lot of luggage because some of the walks can be long and go up and down long escalators (I'm not sure about this particular connection). The District Line also stops at Earl's Court, where the connection might be easier.

Take the train to Dover Priory station. The trip from London takes a little under 2 hours. If you are staying overnight in London, then look for a hotel near Victoria or Charing Cross (Leicester Square is not that far from Charing Cross, and there are a lot of hotels in that area, or the Marriott County Hall is also not far ... it's near Waterloo station and only a couple of Tube stops away). The regular fare (if booked in advance) is about 25 pounds each way. It might be cheaper if you booked a round-trip or had some kind of a discount. The Web site for rail bookings in the UK is: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/jp.

Taxis in London are expensive. There is a bus-transfer company in London that does cruise port transfers, but I don't know how it works. Hopefully, someone else can help you more.

I'm not the expert on the British rail system, but if you post in the Europe forum, there are people who are very familiar and might be able to give you more information.
Apr 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Two years ago, I was surprised at the cost to go from Dover to London via rail. There were 4 of us and we used Ports Direct, (www.portsdirect.co.uk) and saved substantially.

But, I think the cost was less than that for two of us for LHR-Dover via a rail-taxi-rail connection. I am not certain if the improvement in exchange rates will make a difference in that, but you can check the fares on-line before you make your plans.

Search this Thread