Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Have You Sailed on The Summit ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/have-you-sailed-on-the-summit-203343/)

Deb Nov 2nd, 2001 10:29 AM

Have You Sailed on The Summit ??

Hi. We are booked on The Summit in August of 2003 to Alaska. Has anyone other than Industry people on this site sailed her since the Inaugural sailing ?? I would be interested to know your opinion about the ship, service, food, amenities, etc. Please reply if you have sailed on other than the Inaugural sailing. Thanks!

Kathy Nov 2nd, 2001 10:51 AM

My sister and her husband are returning today from 12 days on the Summit to the Caribbean. I will check with her and post her opinions. We were on her sister ship the Millennium in February and thought it was spectacular. We have cruised on other Celebrity ships in the past but felt the service and food was even better than we'd experienced previously. The cabins were very spacious with tons of closet and drawer space (and LOTS of hangers)and a programmable safe. Your cabin steward will empty the mini bar so you can use the refrigerator and great robes were furnished in each cabin. There is a built-in hair dryer in the bathroom with a lotion and shampoo dispenser and lots of storage space. <BR> <BR>If you've never cruised on Celebrity before, you're in for a REAL treat and you'll LOVE Alaska!

Deb Nov 2nd, 2001 11:36 AM

Thanks Kathy, and I meant August of 2002, not 2003. I will be looking forward to your sister's opinion. <BR> <BR>Deb

Melissa Nov 3rd, 2001 04:22 AM

Hi Deb, <BR>I sailed on Summit last year in June to Alaska. It was the most amazing experience. We booked a room with a balcony. I really recommend this. It is a little cold by times to enjoy the balcony, but people up stairs are always trying to get great views of everything, and if you have your own, you don't have other people in your way for camera shots, etc. The Hubbard Glacier was my favorite stop. They turn everything off (the engine) so that it is not noisy and you can hear the craking of the ice as it breaks off the glacier and falls into the sea. the Summit has amazing food, and I really liked thier specialty restaurant. For the life of me, I don't remember how much it cost, but the food and service there was great. They have an internet cafe, but it is $1usd per minute. If you have your own laptop, you can hook up to the internet in your room for $20usd per day or $100usd for the week. Even the $20 for one day is great, because by the time I logged on to Hotmail, I had used 3 minutes and $1/minute adds up. (especially when you are a Canadian and that really is $1.57/min) <BR>The ship is beautiful. When I was on it it was only a few months old. The service was great. They wern't pushy and only talked to you, when you talked to them. They have a lovely shopping area. The theater was ok. I had done Disney Cruise line earlier in the year, and found thier theater far better (I am a big kid I think). <BR>You will have a great time. It is a great ship and itinerary. If you are a Canadian it is really great getting on board, because we have our own line for embarkation, and we were able to get right off at the end. When I have done cruises out of US ports, I had to get in a long line while Americans got right on board, and had to go through emigration at 6am on return. <BR>

Melissa Nov 3rd, 2001 04:25 AM

I guess not last year, it was this year I sailed. Feels so long ago now...

Cheryl Jan 18th, 2002 06:41 AM

I am also booked on the Summit in August on the August 16 sailing.

Carol Feb 6th, 2002 05:40 PM

Just got off a 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Summit. It was fantastic. About the only complaint I have is that their internet charges were excessive - $.95/minute.......and that adds up rather quickly.<BR><BR>Food was unbelievable, staff more than conpetent and extremely friendly, excellent entertainment - a FABULOUS a capella group called METRO were the best!<BR><BR>Our group has already rebooked the ship for next January on the 11-nter through the P. Canal. 'Nuf said!<BR><BR>Well, maybe not enough. I was on Radisson Navigator in December, and thought the food was the best I had ever had on a cruise ship. Summit was a close second. And at a MUCH, MUCH CHEAPER COST!<BR><BR>The ship is elegant, refined, and sophisticated like Radisson, but with about a gazillion more things to do.<BR>Radisson is wonderful for those who want quiet most of the time. I like to have the option of quiet and activities, and the Summit gave me EVERYTHING!

Deb Apr 25th, 2002 10:50 AM

To the top.............

DJ Jul 29th, 2002 08:38 PM

Sailed on the Summit in the caribbean on their 10 day cruise. Considering that we normally prefer the smaller luxury ships and this being our first cruise on such a large vessel, we were pleased with our experience onboard. Found the ship easy to get around & very much liked our cabins as we originally booked a premium oceanview with balcony and then upgraded to a sky suite. Both cabins were well appointed & spacious etc. All of the service we experienced was very good. The cabin attendants were efficient and provided unobtrusive service. The food was very good overall considering the amount of people being served at each seating. Enjoyed the coffee and desserts in the Cova Cafe and didn't mind paying extra. Found the specialty restaurant (Normandie) to be good but not exceptional. Entertainment onboard was a novelty for us as those types of shows etc. don't take place on the small ships. Getting on and off the ship was fast and efficient overall. Would definitely sail on Celebrity again if deciding to do another cruise on a large ship.