Have you been on Costa Cruises?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for a cruise to take, and are having a difficult time since we've left our planning so late. Costa cruises often seem to have some ok itineraries and very good prices...but I've read the odd statement about 'not recommending' them. Wondering if its because they allow smoking (which we don't like)...but would appreciate any other specifics about Costa that are good and bad experiences....to help us out (eg. we really do not want to be stuck on a 7, 10 or 12 day 'bad' experience!!). Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM

You will get a better advice if you provide some info about yourself. Are you planning Caribbean or Europe cruise? Do you live in US? What cruise lines you sailed before if any?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM

All cruiseships allow smoking - usually in parts of public rooms and not in show or dining rooms.

Any cruise has the potential of being a bad experience if you let every little thing bother you instead of looking at the whole experience. If you think it's bad and I think good - neither is wrong.

So, many people love Costa and many don't. You'll have to find out yourself or take the advise of someone with similar interests as yourself.

I'd just go for it and depending on how it was, go on another line next time. Good luck
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I disagree with maryann. Me, I only have two weeks vacation per year and can't afford to waste it on something I don't have a good feeling is my cup of tea. Another line next time would be in a year. I think OP feels the same way. Do as much research as you can, not to let your precious vacation time to be a dissappointment.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:59 AM

You can get much more info at: www.cruisecritic.com. There will be lots of passenger reviews there. I also feel sorry for those who get only two weeks vacation per yr. Most of the rest of the world gets at least double that but here (in the US) we have not realized the need for such lifestyle changes as more time off. Two weeks out of 52 is too little. JM2C.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. You are right I should have said that we have been on other cruiselines--Holland America (4), Renaissance (1- our favorite - the ship we were on now owned by Oceania), RCCL (1) and Carnival (1 and never again!). We too only get a once a year or so opportunity to go on a vacation like this -- so it is important we have a good experience. Yes, we do live in the US and agree that more vacation time should be the norm. Actually we've worked long enough to get about 20 days a year (I still believe that's not enough), but problem is that work doesn't allow us more than 2 weeks off at a time...and that's stretching it. Also, I don't like spending that kind of $ and not enjoying myself! Now I'm curious to know, what besides more smoking allowed, are some of the things to expect on Costa. Almost seems that no one really wants to say specifically. Thanks for the tip on cruise critic...I'll check that out. Happy vacations everyone!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I am always wondering WHY instead of giving poster what they want like :
I had been on Costa and i hated food.
I loved entertainment.
I hated rooms - too large, I couldn't find my husband there.

Why to post something obvious like "Any cruise has the potential of being a bad experience" DAH!!!
Don't everyone knows IT???

She is asking to listen and decide: big room - I can live with, bad food - probably not, entertainment - who cares? So overall for her would be - not worth it.
Instead ahe gets a lecture on 'everyone likes different things'

It was my 5 cents
Thanks for listening
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I think the OP already has a bad feeling about Costa and any advise given will still depend on the individual - liking or not liking is a matter of opinion.

I don't care for Princess-but that's my opinion. We had a great time on Costa and only 1 out of 4 cruises on Carnival was not good. But I save all my big adjectives for Holland America, for me, they set the highest standard.

The OP has 4 HAL cruises but it is not earthshaking to try another line as the OP has already.
I did not say 'more smoking' on Costa, just that all cruises allow smoking.

Had a great time on Costa - loved the food and the Toga Party. Did not like frequent announcements in 5 or so languages, ship not as clean as we had on other ships. But not a bad review from me.

Have fun
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM

A friend of mine was on Celebrity, Radisson, Costa, MSC, RCCL and he likes the most (aside from Radisson), guess what? Costa. I haven't sailed with Costa but I think I'd like it too, since I liked Carnival Conquest, and Costa is pretty close to Carnival; as a matter of fact, it is a part of Carnival corporation. However, based on information provided from OP (especially Carnival - never again), my verdict is: stay away from Costa as you don't get a second chance to experiment, and stick to what you know and like.
I said.
Second doctor's opinion, please.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I agree that with limited time and resources it is best to research and try and make the best decision.

I used to LOVE Costa but that was when they were really an Italian line. Now, I just would not choose to cruise them.

I do not care for Carnival and, yes, they are owned by Carnival. I do realize that HAL and Windstar are also but the price points and such for Costa are more Carnival-like as are the ships in SPR (space per passenger ratio) etc. I am not one to enjoy a toga party, I would prefer champagne and caviar and elegant dinners.

Read and research and make an INFORMED decision as it is best to hedge your bets.

JMHO
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:56 AM

The best advice I can give is to do research. Again, cruisecritic is a very good choice. If you find a review about toga parties and other such bacchanalian activities as implied please let us know. it must be a secret.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Jacketwatch, they even feature the toga parties in their brichures. Costa has done this for quite some time.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks Kfusto. I'll look into that.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
cd

We enjoyed our Costa cruise. I don't remember the food as being really good or really bad. Our room was very nice with a balcony. We did not take any of the ships shore excusions as I planned our own. We enjoyed the Toga Party. I just remember how much our husbands (went with another couple) loved hanging around the pool as they permitted topless sunbathing.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Having been on Costa, I think that your decision must be made carefully. Costa, although part of Canival Corp., is an Italian ship, not an Italian-American ship. The food is Italian not as we know it in the US.
The mood is Italian. Italians like to keep their children with them preferring not to leave tham with a sitter or counsellor, even for late night events.
For me the PA system was constantly blaring. If it wasn't an announcement in 5 or 6 languages, it was constant music. Unfortunately the salt air is not good for speakers. There is no place on the ship to quietly read a book or relax except for your cabin. That is not a good option for me.
Hearing this scratchy music in the dining room was not pleasant.

The staff were very kind and helpful and tried to assist us in any way they could.

If you would like to experience something different and would like to try cruising Italian style then go for it.
Canam
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM

We were very happy with the Costa cruise we took (on the Victoria). The room was very nice and the service was great. Food was good too. The entertainment was weak because it is an international crew and the US is better putting on shows. Best cruise I have been on. Went on a Carnival cruise and was very disappointed in the food, the boat, the room. Costa is much better and more high-end.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM

onthegogo-
We sailed on Costa Victoria in October '04 from Venice to Bari and then on to a host of Greek Isles--Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes and Katakalon. The smoking you mention was not an issue (others above have it right, there's smoking somewhere on every ship). We were pleasantly surprised by the food--we'd been told that their meals and service were poor. We found it to be exactly the opposite. Service throughout the ship was very good. This ship was a bit older but in very good shape. We'd sail them again---also, we've sailed Holland America and Celebrity. Not as good as Celebrity imho, but on par with Holland America.