Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Has anyone ever taken a bicycle on a cruise ship? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/has-anyone-ever-taken-a-bicycle-on-a-cruise-ship-861075/)

ahotpoet Sep 28th, 2010 07:14 AM

Has anyone ever taken a bicycle on a cruise ship?

I recently took an Alaska Inside Passage Cruise and at each port there were crew members who would get off with bicycles and I was wondering if passengers could bring bikes aboard for use in each port. How would that work? I think it would be way more interesting to explore some ports that way rather than some overpriced shore excursions. Does anybody have any experience regarding this?

fmpden Sep 29th, 2010 06:44 PM

Same question. We have considered it since our bicycles fit in a standard suitcase and it is easy to bring them. I am aware of some river cruises that provide bikes. Maybe we will just do it. What can they say?

Sassafrass Sep 30th, 2010 09:01 PM

Boy, I don't know, and probably could not do it logistically, but I love the idea. Hey, cruise ships could start having bikes for rent and make some money for themselves.

traveller69 Sep 30th, 2010 10:31 PM

You can take golf clubs so why not bicycles?

ahotpoet Oct 1st, 2010 04:53 PM

You would think so. I guess if it fits in your cabin, you can take it. I am going Transatlantic in May, ending in Holland. I was thinking that since bikes are so expensive in Europe, I should just take one and leave it with a friend when I come back. I could also use it when the ship is in port along the way to do some exploring since the excursions are not appealing. It will be springtime and hopefully the weather will be perfect for a bike ride.

Sassafrass Oct 1st, 2010 06:51 PM

It would be wonderful to have a bike in Holland. You would fit right in, and the riding would be easy and flat.

fmpden Oct 1st, 2010 07:44 PM

First, bikes or at least every day bikes are not that expensive. Second there is a massive used market so you could easily pick up a bike. Americans are very into skinny tire racing style bikes but that is not common other than racing clubs. So you should be sure that the bike would be useful to your friend.

Cali Oct 1st, 2010 08:57 PM

We recently took a Danube River Cruise and our ship (River Beatrice) had bikes aboard that could be used at every port. Several members of our party used them. Maybe this is just done on River Cruises.

ahotpoet Oct 2nd, 2010 11:12 AM

Thanks for your replies. Did I mention the Transatlantic is on Celebrity?
What would a decent used bike go for in Holland? I am talking about 10 speed at least since I would use it in other paces besides flat Holland. What type of bike are most commonly used? I took some bike tours and they used hybrid bikes. Not skinny tires.
I would love to do a bike and barge trip but it is not in my budget at the moment.