Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   HAL or RCCL (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/hal-or-rccl-276548/)

rebecca Nov 29th, 2002 12:35 PM

HAL or RCCL

My husband and I are planning an early spring cruise. We previously cruised with RCCL but would prefer a smaller ship. Is HAL what we're looking for?

JimM Nov 29th, 2002 02:15 PM

There's too much left unsaid to answer that question accurately. How much smaller? Active lifestyle or subdued? Laid back or formal? What itinerary? HAL pax tend to be a bit older and more subdued. The ships tend to be a bit more formal. Have you looked at Celebrity?

rebecca Nov 29th, 2002 06:27 PM

We are in our early 50's, moderately active and pretty laid back. Priorities are minimal children, excellent dining for two, the cabin size isn't important but need a window/veranda. Thanks for any and all input. (The size would be 1,000 passengers, roughly).

Ron Nov 29th, 2002 08:41 PM

I would definitely check out Holland America. Their ships are not &quot;Mega&quot; sized but plenty big enough. I have always found their food and service to be very good.In general, their passengers are a little more mature and have traveled/cruised before.<BR>The cabins are big--the outsides have a bathtub, whereas most others only have a shower.Check out the minisuites with a balconey.<BR>I don't know where you would be coming from, but they have sailings from Tampa, Port Canaveral and FT. Lauderdale,Fla.<BR>I don't believe you would be disappointed with Holland America. Yes, they have had a problem on the Amsterdam with the &quot;virus&quot; but I&quot; sure that will be over soon.

Ron Nov 29th, 2002 08:46 PM

I would definitely check out Holland America. Their ships are not &quot;Mega&quot; sized but plenty big enough. I have always found their food and service to be very good.In general, their passengers are a little more mature and have traveled/cruised before.<BR>The cabins are big--the outsides have a bathtub, whereas most others only have a shower.Check out the minisuites with a balcony.<BR>I don't know where you would be coming from, but they have sailings from Tampa, Port Canaveral and FT. Lauderdale,Fla.<BR>Definitely check them out on their website.

Ron Nov 29th, 2002 08:47 PM

Hey, I don't know what happened. Two posts for the price of one???

Lew Nov 30th, 2002 05:20 AM

The HAL Staatendam class [Staatendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam] carry about 1200 passengers and are in the mid-60K ton range. They offer the amenities you mention.<BR><BR>The Noordam, in the 32K range, carries just about the same number of passengers, and is a &quot;true&quot; ship, i.e. has the feel of a ship rather than a floating hotel.<BR><BR>I have been on all 5 ships mentioned, 3 of them within the last 9 months, and find them well maintained.<BR><BR>I can not make a comparison to RCCL as I have never been on any of their ships and have no desire to go on any of their ships.

Paul Therault Nov 30th, 2002 10:34 PM

There is a world of difference between mass-market RCCL and Holland America.<BR><BR>I believe the image that HAL caters to oldsters is going to change soon. Their new ships are being built to woo young active adults.<BR><BR>Paul

xxx Dec 1st, 2002 04:34 AM

Mt girfriend sailed Carnival twice, RC, and lastly HAL. She said she would not cruise HAL again. To old and fuddy duddy for her. It was her least favorite line out of the 3. She is a young 55. That was her opinion.

pete Dec 1st, 2002 01:36 PM

Go definitely Hal if you like subdued and classical fun. The food is exellent and the service is even better. They will remeber what u like and didlike after 1 day. We have sailed Hal 8 times and will many more. We are both 53 and hate the sound of Disco and BOOM, BOOM BOOM all night long....and thats one thing you will not find on Hal

Debbie Dec 11th, 2002 04:51 PM

Lew<BR><BR>We just booked the Noordam When were you on this ship? Is it in good shape?Can you tell me anything about Cat. A,B,or C.?<BR><BR>Deb

KenX Apr 17th, 2003 04:33 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either RCCL or HAL, having cruised with both recently. Even on the big ships, I did not find them crowded except when boarding or leaving the ship. My opinions are that the entertainment on RCCL is faster paced and geared to the baby boomer crowd. For example, we LOVED the group Rain as a Beatles impersonation band. The under 50s crowd had a great rocking time. The comedians and the cruise staff do not hold back on raunchier jokes. Food was good but not outstanding. HAL on the other hand is much more sedate (boring actually) such as Big Band sound. The night club had 60s music and disco, but it was pretty deserted. But the food and service were wonderful!