Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Greek Isle Itinerary for cruisers (fish restaurant recommendation welcome!)

Greek Isle Itinerary for cruisers (fish restaurant recommendation welcome!)

Sep 29th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Greek Isle Itinerary for cruisers (fish restaurant recommendation welcome!)

My husband and I are travelling mid-October and have questions regarding time on Mykonos and Santorini. With so little time on each island, I am trying to figure out the "must do". Please let me know what you think.

Mykonos 2:30 - 10 PM

my plan is to spend time in Mykonos town, spend a few hours at the Beach- Platys Gialos and then back to town for a fish dinner. We plan to take a taxi to and from the beach.

Santorini 8AM - 4PM

Spend time in Fira and then on to Oia where we will spend time in the town and the beach. Again, taking a taxi back and forth.

My questions are:

Are taxis easy to get?

Is it possible to walk to Oia from Fira? Or should we just spend time in Fira considering our time restraints?

Is mid-October too cool for the beach? are beach facilities open (bathrooms, beach chairs etc)?

Any restaurant recommendations? We love outdoor seating and love a nice branzini (fish) and stuffed eggplant. yum

Thanks very much..
Sep 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM

We just returned from a Med cruise and spent a day in Santorini. Taxis were easy to get to Oia from Fira for 15 euros, but the bus runs between the two as for for one or two euros (not sure as we took a taxi). It is certainly too far to walk. There are lots of restaurants all serving wonderful fish and greek specialty dishes. We just walked around until we found one we like the location of (view) and had an excellent lunch. I would plan to spend more time in Oia than in Fira. Enjoy!
Sep 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. Did you go to the beach? Or does the two towns keep you busy enough.

Do you see Mykonos?

thanks again!!
Oct 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM

I assume you are on a cruise by the hours you say you are in Santorini. We did not go to the beach and if you are cruising you really don't have time to do the beach. Again, assuming you are on a cruise you will tender into the landing area which will take some time. You then will have to line up to get the funicular up the cliff, or go by donkey. So it doesn't leave a lot of time if you have to be back on board by 4pm. I would plan to spend in the two towns but mainly Oia. Go there first so you can spend some time wandering around and have lunch. It is such a gorgeous spot. You can then go back to Fira and not have to worry about getting a cab or bus in time to reboard the ship. We did not go to Mykonos so can't help you there. Sorry, just reread you post title and see you are cruising. So I would say definitely no time for beaching. What ship are you on?
Oct 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

We are on Galaxy with celebrity cruises. Your idea about doing Oia first is a good one. Since we have until 10PM on the island, we will have dinner and not lunch. I would love to eat in Oia but I don;t want to rush or worry.

thanks again for the good tip
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Sashie - You said in your earlier post that you are in Santorini 8am to 4pm so that is why I recommended lunch. The one thing that is good about the time of year you are going is that it won't be quite so crowded. When we were there the line to get back on the funicular was very long so leave lots of time to get back to the ship. Either way you will love Oea.
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
cd

Oia is just beautiful! We spent our time walking around just looking and then finding a restaurant with a perfect view for having drinks.

Mykonos has some very narrow streets and everything is white!It is so much fun to shop, it's like a maze, if you find something you like you better buy it cause chances are you'll not find your way back to it. Be sure and walk to 'Little Venice' it's on the water and a great place to seat yourself for a bit to eat and glass of wine.

We did not go to any beaches so I cannot help you there. Have fun.
Oct 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

oops...I am getting my islands mixed up. You are right Santorini until 4 PM.

Thanks again
Oct 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM

The beaches in Santorini aren't worth seeing in that short a time. If you have to choose, skip Fira altogether and just go to Oia. When you're coming back, it's actually a very nice walk if you take the bus or a taxi only as far as Imeroviglia and then walk back down to Fira from there (about 20 minutes). Breathtaking views on the way, and it's all downhill.

Frankly, I even have questions about the beaches in Mykonos in mid-October. There is public transportation in the high season to Mykonos beaches, but I'm not sure about the low season, and taxis will be hard to find on the way back since most beaches are isolated.

If you feel comfortable with the idea, it's easier to just rent a scooter in Mykonos (I didn't feel comfortable with that and rented a little ATV ... no safer but I felt better with 4 wheels on the ground). And there is an interesting beach at the very end of the road that goes past the reservoir just 20 minutes from the Mykonos port.

In Mykonos, I like the restaurant Kounelas, which is just off the waterfront. You buy fish by the kilo and then grill it outside for you. It's cheaper and better than the restaurants directly on the waterfront.

Search this Thread