Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Greek Islands Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/greek-islands-help-790554/)

chgeeb Jun 17th, 2009 07:18 AM

Greek Islands Help

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a honeymoon, and was wondering about Greek Island cruises...we'd love to do this!

What time of year is best?

Also, can anyone suggest any good cruise lines for this? The only cruise I've been on was with Princess...which I loved, and they do this itinerary so I'm leaning towards them since it's familiar.
Any advice/tips would be great!
Any place that we must make sure is on the itinerary? Thanks!

~Chgeeb

lindam Jun 17th, 2009 07:34 AM

There is no reason for you NOT to go with Princess if you were happy with them. They are a good line. There is another line that does only the islands, but it is pretty basic--no frills. You probably wouldn't be happy with it for a honeymoon.

Oceania has some spectacular itineraries, but their entertainment is not the same as Princess.

The next time we go to the Greek Islands, it will be in Sept. or May. The weather will still be nice, but not as crowded, hopefully.

chgeeb Jun 17th, 2009 12:35 PM

Okay, yeah I was told that May or early June is a good time to go to miss some of the crowds...but what's the weather like? During this time and during September? I have no idea...is it just warm..or hot enough for swimming and being outside all day?

Percy Jun 17th, 2009 05:01 PM

I was there in late September early October in Santorini and

Mykonos .It was 84 F in both places !!!.

chgeeb Jun 18th, 2009 12:33 PM

That's great, thank you!

As for cruises in the area...what's the water like there? Is it rocky when you're on the boat? Calm? I have no idea what the sea is like over there...Thanks!

Percy Jun 18th, 2009 01:12 PM

It was calm as a baby when I was there ! :)

OllieO Jun 18th, 2009 08:49 PM

Did the Greek Isles cruise on Grand Princess several years ago ... don't know what itinerary you are looking at, but we did the following ports: Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakalon (Olympia), Athens, Kusadasi (Turkey), Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Naples, Civitavecchia (Rome). We had a great time in every one! As for the shore excursionsI don't think there are any really bad ones - there are so many things to see and do!

We went in Mid-September and the weather was shorts and t-shirts --- the pool and sundeck were full every day. I would concur with Percy's comment - there was only one day onboard when I would call the seas even moderately rolling.

Of all the cruises I have done, I would have to rate this among the very best - would do it again in a heartbeat. If you enjoy ancient history, (or even if you don't) you will be delighted.

We spent a couple extra days in Venice before sailing (IMHO, Venice is the most romantic city in the world -- and, yes, I've been to Paris. If you've got a couple days extra, this is a must!). Also spent two days in Rome at the end of the cruise before flying home.

If I were going to take a honeymoon, I couldn't think of a better choice. Have a great time!

chgeeb Jun 19th, 2009 05:19 AM

Thanks everyone! And thanks OllieO!
I was thinking about that as well, staying a few days before and after the trip! I think that would be great! So mid-September seems like a good time to go! Thanks so much!!!

southeastern Jun 21st, 2009 06:56 PM

The Greek Islands are so easy to do on your own. There are ferry boats everywhere and easy to jump from island to island. You will really miss the wonderful Greek flavor of the islands if you do a cruise. It's easy, easy, easy, to plan your own trip or have a Greek tour agency do it for you. I use mine in Athens to book hotels, and get the ferry tickets ahead of time so that it is carefree. I use John at [email protected]. He's an American and will do anything you want from hotels, concerts, ferries, etc. Doing it on your own is so much better than a cruise with 3,000 people.