Granparents cruising with grandchildren

Nov 6th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Guylaine

Granparents cruising with grandchildren

Planning a cruise with grandkids, ages 10-11.
They want to see whales so we are looking at Canada/New England. Any advice on a cruise line? When we sail alone we love HAL but I think there could be other lines worth a try. I know Hal takes good care of children but I heard there is Regal Cruise Lines, not as posh, but fun for kids. Any suggestions?

Nov 8th, 1999, 09:06 PM
Gloria K.

Hi Guylaine,
In answer to your request about travelling with grandchildren, I have to answer very honestly and tell you that both you and the children would be very disappointed with Regal Cruise Line. I sailed on the Regal Empress two years ago and this is not a cruise line that caters to children -- in fact, the passengers were made up mostly of seniors -- this was in late July. If you've sailed on HAL, you'll be very disappointed since HAL is 5 star and Regal is 3 star and it's quite a step down from HAL! This is a small ship with limited facilities -- the one pool is very small and was not very clean when we were on board -- in fact the water was frigid -- I think they filled the pool in Canadian waters. You would be better off considering Carnival Cruise Line who will be doing 4 and 5 night sailings from New York to Canada since the ships are brand new and the children's programs and facilities are excellent. Whale watching? -- you may be offered an excursion at your port stop in Canada (I believe Halifax had excursions available). Email me if you want more information. Gloria

Nov 20th, 1999, 09:01 PM
BlonDe

I have to recomend Royal Caribbean International. My mom when takeing my sister's or my kids on vacation with her ALWAYS does RCI. Both seniors and kids are very well catered to on this ship. My mom and kids always come back so spoiled. Ask around you will find out what I say is a common opinion of quite a few people.

Nov 21st, 1999, 06:58 PM
guylaine

Thanks for the good replies, I have heard similar remarks about Regal since your reply. So it's certainly great to be warned.

The grandkids are now bugging me for Disney. I wonder if a Disney cruise followed by 3 days at Disney World would not be overstimulating. Any othe advice out there. I heard cruising the Carribean in Summer is manageable and that it's not as warm as we northerners would imagine. Help.

Search this Thread