Reload this Page >

Good News for the Fans of the S.S. Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:58 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Norwegian Cruise Line is going to drydock the Norway in Europe and refurbish. How much of a refurbishment was not published. The ship will sail back to Miami in December and will do a Caribbean itinerary. <BR> <BR>Another note of interest .... NCL has cancelled the European itinerary of the Sun and that ship will continue it's Caribbean itinerary for 2002. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Rhea

Paul, we're 2 of the fans. She was supposedly sold & to be made into a roving gambling ship in the East we were informed. <BR>What happened to the sale? <BR>Her prices were very reasonable. Do you anticipate an increase which will really subsidize the refurb.??

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Rhea

Paul, we're 2 of the fans. She was supposedly sold & to be made into a roving gambling ship in the East we were informed. <BR>What happened to the sale? <BR>Her prices were very reasonable. Do you anticipate an increase which will really subsidize the refurb.??

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Jo

I'm a fan too. So much so that when I learned my trip on the Sun would be moved, I transferred my deposit to the Blue Lady. I think these changes have to do with the state of international affairs.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 08:45 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Rhea, <BR> <BR>I can not ever believe a ship that size would ever become a gambling ship. <BR> <BR>No one knows what prices will be in the future what with promotional dates, value dates, etc. <BR> <BR>Definitely NCL is now finally drydocking their older ships and performing neccessary maintenance. Possibly because of the all the bad press and negativity. <BR> <BR>To tell you the truth, I would rather be safe on a ship and pay the extra. <BR> <BR>At this time no one can predict what will happen to the industry. Too many new ships to fill, airline cuts, etc. <BR> <BR>The only cruise line that is going against the grain is Disney. Their prices are increasing weekly. Of course they have always been a renagade cruise line. <BR> <BR>Unless NCL spends 200 million on a refurb they will continue to have an "old" ship that will never compare to the Queen Elizabeth. This may dictate a low cruise fare as in the past. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Rhea

FYI Category - a partial e-mail from a cruise consolidator I rec'd this a.m.: <BR> <BR> <BR>$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - Featured Specials of the Week $$$$$$$$$$$$ <BR> NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINES <BR>Due to the recent situation, NCL has decided to bring the Norway back to the Carribbean starting with a the Cristmas Sailing. She is presently under going a multi million dollar refurbishment. <BR>Norway - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean from Miami <BR>Dec 23 from $398.pp // Dec 30 from $483.pp <BR>Jan 6, 13, 20, 27 from $209.pp <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Tom

Rhea: I'd be very careful about quotes like those you posted. Since the port charges on a 7 day cruise are close to $200 how can NCL sell you a cruise for $209.00. <BR>This sounds like one of the few remaining cruise sellers who still lure in people by using this old trick and then tagging on port charges, taxs, etc after they have you.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:14 AM
William

You're right on Tom. I checked and the port charge alone on this cruise is $144 which would mean that NCL will give you a cruise, food, etc for 7 days for $65...... NOT! <BR>I too wish travel agents and cruise agencies would all include all port, taxs, etc in ALL listings to stop this nonsense from happening! icruise does this on their website.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>It is bad for the cruise industry which should be trusted when you see these internet companies sell cruises and when your final payment comes up they tell you about all the added extras. <BR> <BR>Check prices with a few "real" travel agents and ask many questions until you find the right one. <BR> <BR>Also, agents that sell on this site where is is forbidden are unscrupulous. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Rhea

Tom & Wm: you're right - I neglected to mention that is Before the port tax. <BR>However, it's been my experience - whether it be a "legitimate" TA, i.e. Paul or a cruiseline brochure, port taxes, air & excursions are not calculated in the advertised price. one must read fine print. <BR>Caveat emptor !

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:16 PM
carol

Has anyone been on the Norway since the refurbishment? How does she look? I have friends who will be cruising in FEbruary.