Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Golden Princess or Sapphire 06/2010 to Alaska?

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a FIRST cruise for family of six (me, DH, DD10, DD9 and in laws) to Alaska.
Considering inside passage Seattle RT in June 2010, Golden Princess or Sapphire, obs view cabin for us, and balcony for in laws.
What's the main difference? Seems like route & ship wise are about the same. Sapphire is newer, but Golden just got a makeover this year. The price quote diff is only
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 09:55 AM

Time of the year will make a difference in fare. Even 2 or 3 weeks apart may mean differences in price. So, to be fair, comapre prices in similar time period.

There is not that much difference between the two ships. The Sapphire is slightly smaller. The Sappahire (sister shp to Diamond) has more "oriental" influence as it was built in Japan.

The refit for Godlen Princess will add the "Movie under the star" which is a great feature. My DW just loves it.

Either way, you won't feel crowded on these two ship as there are lots of public area. Both have good "kids program" and there are plenty to do at sea and ashore.

There are many excursions that the whole family can enjoy. It all depends on your budget and your "active" level. Also, they can be expensive. Be prepared to pay anywheree form $100 to $300 per person per excusrion on each stop.

There are plenty of so call MUST sees, you may wnat to serach the forum for any previous discussions on Alaska excursions. I have been through Alaska a few times and have yet complete all the MUST yet. And we have been to soem places multiple times and see different things and have a totally different experience on the same excursion.

I beleive the pool is not heated and I saw people used it so you should be able to use it with no problems. The quetsion is will you have time There is so much to do and see.

The Alaskan ships have educational components. If it stops by Glacier Bay National Park, the park rangers may come aboard and give information on the park etc. The ships also have naturalist on baord and held lectures.

Have you consider a North bound passage? Fly into Vancouver, spend a few days, cruise North to Alaska, spend a few more days in Denali and then fly home? Or the other way around.
Since you want to go to Vancouver anyway, that maybe the way to go.

Inside passage is great, but the one way passage will take you further North for more spectacular sights.

Good luck. Whatever you do, it will be a memeorable trip and you will enjoy it.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM

Even though you state the itineraries are about the same, are they?? Post what you are looking at. Many people just don't realize the significant differences in routing or port times.

For information- round trip Seattle sailings are the least scenic Alaska cruises, they also have the roughest sea potential. It is also simple to do a round trip Vancovuer with an extra day, which offers are superior itinerary with way more scenic sailing.

I would NOT make much of an effort to do "group" touring in ports. Many times it's a mistake. Split up and do what you want. Tours are costly to drag someone along with min. interest and too good to miss if a "must do" for someone.

Involve the kids in the planning and touring selections. They certainly are old enough to determine what their interests may be for touring Alaska.

Do your homework, look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, determine your budget. IF there are priority costly tours, that are going to break your budget- as only a suggestion, back way off on Christmas/birthday/holiday spending, if family members are receptive, they could contribute to a "tour" fund, or give a tour as a gift.

NO flames please, this may be something for some people to consider.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Eschew & BudgetQueen,
Both itinerary are about the same visiting Tracy Arms, not Glacier Bay, and the time is different.
The reason we don't do one way cruise is b/c of the budget.
The Vancouver RT only offered by Celebrity which I heard not very family/kid friendly. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
As far as excursion, my inlaws don't speak english nor live here in US, so they're sticking w/ us. I don't think I'll let my kids do excursion by themselves either, so we are sticking together.
Excursion, I'm thinking Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Yukon & Butchart Gardens(maybe), not sure about Ketchikan..
Is the water really rough that you really feel it & get sea sick? In that case we might consider other ship.
Please do keep you recommendation/insight coming.
I really appreciate them.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM

No you are "wrong" kids do fine on any Alaska cruise, and certainly they do sail Celebrity. HAL also sails round trip out of Vancouver. AND yes, you have chosen the roughest sailing route, and yes, people get sick. No way to predict who, but I certainly have seen plenty in my multiple trips.

Mendenhall is easy to get to, there will be shuttle buses right at the dock. You might want to see, if Rent A Wreck has a van rental available, would offer you more to consider.

As for your "Yukon" reference??? Again offering you the most, I would recommend a van rental. Avis, in the past did have a van available, can not be reserved online, you would have to call them. There are bus tours and rail/bus combo tours to also consider.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I was on the Celebrity Mercury this past summer. They had over 300 kids on that particular sailing. They have kids programs and they should be fine.

If you sail out of Vancouver, there is no Victoria stop.

Everything is relative. The roughest portion would be between Seattle and Vancouver Island. It is not really that rough. With the big ships, I really don't foresee sea sickness as a big issue unless there were history of motion sickness.

Either way, Vancouver round trip is a much better ride.

If budget is an issue, do away with the shore excursions and explore the towns on your own. Mendanhall by bus is cheap.

The Fjords and wildlife viewing is great in Alaska and those are the musts.

For me, planning the trip is part of the fun and if you involve everyone, it would add to the anticipation and the enjoyment when it happens.