Golden Princess in the British Isles

Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Golden Princess in the British Isles

My husband and I will board the Golden Princess in Southhampton on July 1. We've been on RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, and NCL (never again!). Has anybody done this particular cruise? Will we be disappointed in the ship/food? How dressed up do we get on "dress-up"night?
The ship stops in Dublin, Belfast, Scotland, and Wales. How warm/cool does it get during the day and at night? Since we will be staying in London prior to picking up the ship, we are in need of transport from London to Southhampton. Has anybody gotten the transfers sold by Princess? I've called them three times and have gotten three different answers as to where to pick up the bus. One lady told me to get it at the hotels in their package,another said no unless I buy the hotel package. One told me Victoria Station, one said I have to get back to Heathrow. HELP!
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:53 AM

Wow, I'm jealous. I looked at your itinerary, but considering the strength of the Euro, we thought we would put it off for another year and see what the exchange rate is then.

Having sailed Carnival, NCL and RCCL, I can tell you we consider Princess the best of all. We took our first Princess cruise aboard the Sapphire this past Fall and considered it our best cruise yet of the dozen we have taken.

We were in Ireland last July and the weather was pleasant, mid to high 60's. We got lucky with the rain, but plan on wet weather, that's why Ireland and Scotland are so green.

I would stick with the Princess package that includes the hotel and transfer, it's just safer that way.

Wish I could help more with the specifics, but don't forget to report back after your cruise.

Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Hi! We were looking at this itinerary and are considering the Sun Princess in May. We have been very happy with Princess and have no complaints. Weatherwise- pack for all types of temps. It can be around 70 in London and around 60 in Scotland, though you never know. You will definitely need a warm jacket. I'd say around 50 degrees at night. I would not do a hotel package, you can definitely do better on the hotels on your own. We usually do our own transfers to save time.
Feb 4th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Frank, look for a report in mid-July. I'll try to get to it asap.
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Weather in Scotland will depend a lot on where exactly you are. As other messages have said, it's also highly unpredictable. Early July could be anywhere between about 60 and 75 degrees though cooler at night. And yes, you've got to be prepared for rain. It can rain any day of the year, but if you're lucky you can also get a wek of perfect weather any time as well.
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Formal nights will be the same as on RCCL and Celebrity.

You will find Princess food between RCCL and Celebrity's. I actually like it better then Celebritys but I seem to be in the minority. It is definitely better then RCCL's food. Definitely try their pastas and their souffles. The pizza is actually pretty good also.