Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Antarctica-How did you protect camera on Zodiac excursions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am preparing for my upcoming Antarctica cruise (Lindblad - December 2012) and need guidance for protecting camera equipment while taking part in excursions on the zodiacs. I plan to take a Canon Rebel T2i with 18-270mm lens and a compact Sony Cybershot.
Is a protective waterproof camera cover necessary? If yes, please provide type/brand used or any other useful tips for protecting the equipment. Did anyone experience their camera "freezing up" on the zodiacs due to the temperatures?

Also, did you carry a backpack/camera bag with you on the Zodiac or just had the camera hanging from the strap around your neck. I have a Billingham 107 Bag that can be converted into a backpack (harness can be purchased seperately)--just wandering if this is a necessary expense.
Thanks
Robin
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Nothing short of a waterproof bag will protect your camera from a rogue wave ... as I found out on our Antarctica trip Encountering such a wave would be the exception and not the norm.

I'd keep the Cybershot handy and put the Rebel in a waterproof bag when you're going ashore via zodiac. You can either get an underwater casing for the Cybershot, or just wrap a shower cap around it. We bought some inexpensive kayak bags that are fully waterproof and I used one of those for my SLR and extra lenses. They had backpack straps, so we simply wore the bags on our backs during the zodiac ride.

For zodiac cruises without landing, I had my SLR around my neck. An easy way to protect from drizzle and rain is to use an oversized ziplock bag. Hubby cut two tiny holes in the bottom of the bag to put the camera strap through it and the bag hung over the camera/lens. A big enough size will allow you to zip it closed. Or you can use a rainsleeve (I have several of these -- http://www.amazon.com/Rainsleeve-Dig.../dp/B000PTFDYO). I used them a lot during my bear watching trip in Alaska.

I had no problems with cameras freezing up due to cold weather in Antarctica. Our temps in Jan 2007 were mostly well above freezing. I've operated my Canon dSLRs in temps as low as -40C (in Churchill) without any problems. The batteries held up really nicely. Keep the spare in an inside pocket close to your body. Another trick, put a handwarmer in the pocket with the battery.

Have a terrific trip.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

eenusa,

Thank you for your response. It was most helpful. I really like the idea of using the oversize ziplock bag as a rain protector.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM

My daughter works down in Antarctica and takes her point and shoot Canons on zodiacs all the time for great pictures! She carries them either in her float coat or a ziploc when not shooting. Her cameras don't seem to freeze up even when she is down there in June with the winter temperatures so you should be okay.
Have a wonderful time-her thousands of pictures each time she comes back are truly amazing!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Great advice from eenusa - we took similar precautions and had no problems (no rogue waves, though). I have a waterproof Panasonic dive camera that just hung around my wrist but our two Sony's were in plastic bag covers as described above. We did carry a backpack on the zodiac (water resistant, not completely waterproof) as did most people. We did a close inspection after each excursion to make sure the Sony's were dry. Have a great time - it's a wonderful destination!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Duty Free & Elizabeth_S

Thanks! I am excited and counting down the days to departure for the white continent--less than 6 months!
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Dear Pure-take lots of memory cards as every trip my daughter is down there she is shooting "at least 2500" pictures.I think that Antarctica creeps into your being and once it does it is hard to leave. The smile on her face when talking about her latest trip in Antarctica always says it all and she works a 12 on/12 off shift on her research vessel! Have fun-so jealous!!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM

A shower caps works well while shooting, but nothing short of a waterproof case will protect you from a rogue wave. I haev "lost" a couple lenses and a camera due to "wetness" and I have waterproof bags, poncho and all.

After drying the equipemnt, the lens still works but the auto focus function diaappeared as the motor is shot.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM

We used an Outdoor Research waterproof backpack. It's come in handy on other trips, recently to the Galapagos, so I feel the expense was justified (and it wasn't terribly expensive).

Also, my camera didn't freeze up but it slowed considerably making me miss some video footage of my husband doing the polar plunge. By the time it got going he was already out of the water. Very disappointing and he wasn't about to recreate the moment!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Leslie_S - I can understand why he didn't do a second take! On our cruise they had to suspend the polar plunge before the last swimmer due to a leopard seal hanging around the area!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Yikes, a leopard seal would be more of a deterrent than just very cold water! Our "plunge" was actually from shore on Deception Island and where we went in it was so shallow that you had to trot out pretty far to get deep enough to actually submerge yourself (had to do that to get the official certificate!!). My feet were blocks of wood by the third step. I'm sure the look on my face was of sheer agony but the same camera malfunction occurred so I'll never know. Maybe a good thing.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Yikes , just when I was thought I had enough courage to participate in the "polar plunge".
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM

LOL - we were on a Quark cruise and they do a literal plunge off the Zodiac gangway. There are two staff members on the platform and they place a life belt around your waist and you jump in.....then they pull like crazy to get you back out of the water!. (plus there are two zodiacs hovering near the gangway in case someone needs help). I don't think you're in the water for more than 20 seconds....it was fun. Until the leopard seal arrived!
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:31 AM

A bite from a leopard seal is guaranteed death according to my daughter-the bacteria in their mouths cannot be over rode by any medicine?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM

A plunge off the side sounds like a major shock to the system. Hope they keep the mobile defibrillators nearby! A bacteria- filled bite would not be fun either
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM

Hi,

just read your question and answer and i to am going to be in Antarctica in Dec., hopefully we will meet....if not have a great time.

Shena
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shena,
Just returned from the Antarctica Expedition. it was magnificent. I had a fantastic time. I will post a trip report as soon as I am settled. The pictures will not convey the beauty that is Antarctica. Have a great time!

Robin
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 09:50 PM

Hi,PureLuxury,did you solve you problem?In fact, I also own a camera,I like taking photos very much.In a rainning day, I will use the waterproof camera set to protect my camera,you can have a try this method.