Reload this Page >

Gay couple in 30s looking for right cruise line

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Tom

We're a gay couple in our mid30s looking for a nice cruise line with a crowd similar in age. Have been on NCL's the Norway and found it OK. Debating on one of the newer ships, either the Grand Princess, the Voyager or Celebrity's Millenium. Any thoughts?

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Anthony

Hi Tom! Hmmmm Exactly the same situation here. We just came back from a 4 day Cozumel cruise on NCL's Majesty, and we had a good time;everything was what we expected, no more, no less. WE felt we got a good value for our money, since we didn't pay too much. Both crew and passengers were very nice, and we never felt uncomfortable. We had nice chats with some co-diners, and even danced together every night in the disco. <BR>But the food quality in the main dining was mediocore, we liked the food better in the alternative dining room. No problem with our request for a double bed. <BR>anyway, we would like to cruise again, but don't think we would enjoy a 'gay' cruise. RCL'sa new mega ships look enticing........... <BR>If you here anything, please email me! <BR>Maybe we the 4 of us can get together!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 10:51 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Tom, <BR>I am a travel agent and book many gay couples. <BR> <BR>Most men do not do the gay cruises. The discos are all unisex. I imagine dancing the slow dances together may raise some eyebrows but I have never heard a complaint. <BR> <BR>There are many gay cruisers especially on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, even gay singles. <BR> <BR>The women seem to lean towards the woman specific cruises. <BR> <BR>Do not worry, it's a vacation. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Michael

I am one half of a gay couple who loves ships. Our favorite is the QE 2 during a transatlantic crossing. The ship is full of "upscale" and educated passengers, therefore it is very gay friendly. We use Pied Piper Travel (a gay travel agency here in NYC) to book the QE 2. There tele # is 800-TRIP-312, and there have a web site, too! Ask for Derek or Kay and tell them Michael B. told you to call. <BR> <BR>PS: They also get 30% off the brochure rates! <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:35 AM
SharonM

Check with RSVP Travel. They cater specifically to Gay travelers, especially cruises. Their phone number is 800-328-7787. Your local travel agency may have their brochures on hand, as well.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 02:19 AM
thulewx

Paul, how can you make a blanket statement like, "Most men do not do the gay cruises."? I have been on 9 of their cruises in the last 6 years and am booked for another next Feb. If RSVP and Atlantis can manage to fill up to 7 large cruise ships every year (and add more cruises frequently), and RSVP boasts 50,000 happy previous customers, they must be doing something right. Don't sell them short. Sure they aren't for everyone but they are IMHO great.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Steve

Hi Guys, I'm 34 and single, and I can only say the way to have a great cruise is to go on Atlantis. I went on the Norwegian Sky--not the greatest food, etc. But excellent parties, and outstanding entertainment. I would definitely recommend it if your looking for a great time. <BR> <BR>I've been on 4 other ships from RCCL to Celebrity. I have taken 2 cruises with Celebrity on Galaxy and Mercury. Celebrity is pure indulgence. the rooms are nice, service is great, and the food is wonderful. The Entertainment is top notch. They are a classy operation. My next trip is on the Millenium next month for R&R. On a Celebrity cruise, you can expect 2 nice bathrobes in your cabin-- an added nice touch. <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:40 AM
Paul Therault

Sorry thulewx my customers would not be caught dead on a gay men's cruise and I am sure you know why.<BR><BR>You also know the reason why Grand Cayman bans the cruises.<BR><BR>I did not make a blanket statement I just did not wish to elaborate on this forum.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:55 AM
Cathy

Enlighten us please. What is Atlantis and why does Grand Cayman ban? I don't want to start a fuss, just really don't know and would like to.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:44 PM
Anthony

Funny this thread surfaced again. As the 2nd poster on this thread, my partner and I are agin going on a NCL cruise for Easter weekend. We are on the NCL Sea leaving Miami for 3 nts to the Bahamas. Got the cruise from on-line auction company ubid.com. got a great price - $500/2 persons inclusive of port charges. Used Frequent flyers for air to Miami, and got a great price for 1 nt at the Penguin hotel on south Beach( The Front Porch Cafe, in the hotel,is our favorite breakfast place)<BR><BR>To naswer your question, Cathy, Atlantis is a tour company that organizes in gay (men only) cruises.<BR>I think there is an offshoot company called 'Olivia' or something like that that organizes lesbian only cruises.<BR><BR>As another poster here stated, Piped Piper differs from Atlantis in that it doesn't book an entire ship for a gay cruise; rather, it organizes smallgay groups to travel together on a regular cruise. <BR>Deciding which of the gay oriented companies to go with depends on your outlook. It is the same debate that many in the gay and lesbian community have with regards to be accepted as part of the status quo and lead a life based on hetrocentric values as opposed to rejecting the momogamous/children rearing model and creating a lifestyle specific to gays and lesbians.<BR>Regading Grand Cayman, it is one of several Carribbean Islands that are extremly homophobic, and have either barred gay-only cruises from docking or formed organized protests and vilolent acts towards disembarking gay men.<BR>I know Jamacia is another island that is extremly homophobic<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:23 AM
Paul Therault

Yes Olivia is the name of the company that leases ships for women only cruises. they do not specifically state that they are lesbian.<BR><BR>Another fine company was Wild Women Tours. They folded last month possibly because of the name. The vacations were rather upscale.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:14 PM
Bruce

Tom - you asked about cruise lines; that depends, as for straight travelers, on whether you prefer elegance or glitz, party atmosphere or subdued, your budget, etc. For elegance and good service, I heartily agree with those who recommend Celebrity. It's no more expensive than other lines but much more sophisticated, and therefore attracts a somewhat more sophisticated crowd. <BR><BR>Regarding gay groups vs. all-gay charters, I personally prefer a gay group. It provides a good group of travel and dinner companions without being overwhelming. Again, it just depends on personal preference for your "style" of travel. I've traveled with groups organized by Cruising with Pride out of San Diego and been very happy. I'm planning to join them for two other trips this year: Alaska and the Caribbean, both on Celebrity ships. <BR><BR>Lastly, if you're concerned about being treated well, I think you can't go wrong on just about any mainstream cruiseline. The staff on any ship is almost uniformly friendly, and the kind of person who cruises is generally perfectly comfortable with gay men or lesbians. Even when cruising not as part of a group, I've always met other gay men, both in couples and as singles. And the ship's staff is usually full of gay men too, although they're not officially allowed to "mingle" with the passengers.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 06:02 PM
oaktown traveler

Tom:<BR>I hope you find a great cruise! I enjoy travel with Gay couples/singles. I am African American, married etc. but have found Gay travelers to be friendlier to me, my husband and kid. Gay men will dance with me when my husband wants to sit one out, so I am being so selfish! Try Princess...I know, I know, I know...smile. We are actually going on Princess next month.