Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Ft, lauderdal Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ft-lauderdal-help-399767/)

maryanne1 Feb 16th, 2004 05:54 AM

Ft, lauderdal Help!

Just returned from a wonderful cruise on Radiance of the Sea, Perfect until getting off the ship until catching transpo(so many people that transpo was very hard to catch) to the airport and a 7 hour wait for our flight. Thought we had the problem solved until the tour to pick us up by bus, take us down the waterway on a boat, back to the airport by bus was cancelled due to lack of people for the tour. Taking another cruise in June so I need suggestions for some tour group to take our luggage and spend the time doing something around Ft. Lauderdale. Another thought might be to spend the night, some hotel picking people up at the cruise dock and then getting you to the airport the next day. Any suggestions for this? A third suggestion- have lunch at some hotel that would store our luggage until time for the airport checkin. 6-7 hours to wait for a flight(Spirit will not check in luggage until 3 hours before flight) is too long to sit when you have not seen the city.
Pleae help as this was the downer after a great time.

maryann Feb 16th, 2004 07:34 AM

I would stay over a day. Stay at a waterfront hotel(that has a water taxi stop) and airport shuttle.

Or rent a car for 24 hrs and drop it at the airport for your flight.

The airport is always a madhouse when the ships go in & out (esp. Sunday). If you have the time come in a day or so early and leave a day or so later.

wt88 Feb 21st, 2004 10:52 PM

Rent a car from the Ft. Launderdale airport for a day. Car rental agency will send shuttle to pick you up from the pier.

Heartburn3 Feb 27th, 2004 02:48 PM

A few months ago I called the Marina Marriott (on the Water Taxi route & close to the Port) and asked if they would let a friend check their luggage with them for a price and take the Water Taxi between the cruise & flight. The Bell Captain on duty said they could do it for a good tip. Their direct line is (954)463-4000. Call and see if you get the same answer.

GBRBEB Feb 29th, 2004 03:05 AM

MY WIFE AND I DID THE GRAND PRINCESS 2 YEASRS AGO OUT OF FORT LAUDERDALE. WE WNENT THE DAY BEFORE AND STAYED AT THE COMFORT SUITES. THEY HAVE A FREE SHUTTLE TO THE CRUISE PORT AND FREE BUFFET BREAKFAST. GOT A GREAT ROOM THROUGH HOTELDISCOUNTS.COM. IT WAS A VEY NICE EXPERIENCE OVERALL. WE ALSO BOOKED OUT OWN AIT WHICH WAS AT THE TIME CONSIDERABLY CHEAPER THAN WHAT PRINCESS WAS GOING TO CHARGE.

Starfish Feb 29th, 2004 06:24 AM

GBRBEB,

Please stop using the caps. Caps mean shouting on all boards. It is also hard to read.
Thanks.

GBRBEB Feb 29th, 2004 09:04 AM

Sorry

maryanne1 Feb 29th, 2004 09:54 AM

To heartburn 3-- Called the Marina Marriott and they will let us check the luggage. The bellman will definitely get a tip. Thank you so much for this tip. This is what makes this so great that people like you are willing to help.

Heartburn3 Feb 29th, 2004 08:11 PM

That's why I love the Marina Marriott so much! They aren't uppity, and I consider them a 4* rather than the 3* rating they often get. I didn't mind making the call and passing the info on to others. I'm just glad that you got the same answer. I hope others who read this will remember this great hotel for their pre or post cruise stay. While you are there, take a walk by the pool and have a drink at the tiki bar. It will be relaxing before you have to go through the airport experience! LOL

maryanne1 Mar 1st, 2004 03:59 AM

Where are the taxis when you get off the ship, Heartburn? There is no taxi line. Finally we caught a shuttle after much waiting. We were on the 10th deck so we were some of the last ones off the ship so maybe the taxis were gone. There were many people still out there. Any suggestion for being picked up after you get off the ship?
Another question would we have time to get the boat that takes the tour down the waterway to see the millionaire houses, etc. What company? Thanks again. Mary Anne

Heartburn3 Mar 5th, 2004 11:27 AM

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, forgot to check the cruise site. The Water Bus (sometimes called the Water Taxi) can be caught across the street from the Marina Marriott and you get your tickets at the boat. Ask the Bellman for one of their brochures, the hotel has them. Check the schedule and plan on being back in time to catch your plane. If you don't think you'll have time to take the Water Taxi for a long trip, take a cab ride or the water taxi over to the beach and stroll along that area and have a nice lunch. You'll be very close to the Marina Marriott and can either take the Boat or a cab back.

Sorry, but I have no idea where you catch the taxis when you get off the ship. I rarely go on cruises and always have my own car when I get off the ones I've been on. I guess you just need to be near the front of the line to catch the taxis, otherwise, you have to wait until they return from taking other passengers to their destinations.

maryanne1 Mar 5th, 2004 01:13 PM

Thank you so much for your reply again. You have been very helpful.