Ft. Laud - Carib for snorkeling

Dec 21st, 2001, 07:17 AM
Lorraine

Ft. Laud - Carib for snorkeling

Can anytone recommend a week-long cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, preferably to the western Carribean, that goes to islands with good snorkeling opportunities off the beach?

Dec 22nd, 2001, 03:34 PM
sandy

Princess, Celebrity, Holland America Line, Windstar -- all do cruises to the W. Caribbean, all to places that are good for snorkeling on the beach: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Abacos, Bahamas. Just pick one and go! I would choose Windstar, because the emphasis is on water sports.

Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:32 PM
Cathy

Usually a western caribbean cruise does not go to Abacos, Bahamas. The western Carib is usually Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Mexico and/or Central America. Cozumel has the best opportunity for snorkling off the beach. Chacanaasp?) park has very good snorkling off the beach and it has a dolphin facility. Belize may have beach snorkling, I am not sure.
Have you snorkled before? If so, try a boat snorkle. I went on an excellent boat snorkle years ago with Captain -----, I forgot the name, but many people could tell you . He operated in Grand Caymen. Boat snorkle that took in two excellent snorkle spots and went to Stingray City which is excellent!! The Captain went when most of the cruise excursions were not there, so it was a wonderful and relaxed experience.
In the Western Caribbean, don't waste your time snorkling in Jamaica. not much to see.

Dec 22nd, 2001, 05:18 PM
Theresa

Captain Marvin is awesome! Best shore excursion of my life in Grand Caymens for Stingray City.

www.captainmarvins.com

Dec 25th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Ian

You will not go wrong with Captain Marvins. They are wonderful people. Far better than any cruise ship or hotel arranged package tour. Captain Marvins snorkel trip was by far the highlight of our trip. I recommend it to anyone. They have been in business for years.

Dec 29th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Sara

Captain Marvin's trip was the highlight of our cruise.

They were so professional, so friendly and so knowledgable. And it wasn't crowded.

Will definitely go with his group again.

Dec 29th, 2001, 07:18 PM
xxx

Here's yet another vote for Captain Marvin's - it was great!

Dec 30th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Lorraine

Thanks, everyone. We're booking the Princess Grand to the W. Caribbean, as all 4 of its ports (Princess Cay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya) have snorkeling opportunities (3 of our group are enthusiastic snorkelers).

Will book Capt. Marvin for Grand Cayman--should this be half day or 2 hours?

At Cozumel I guess we'll take a taxi to Chankanaab Park, although some postings have said it is too crowded.

As for that new port, Costa Maya, we could book the Princess excursion "New Waves Intermediate Beach Snorkel," which takes you to a "remote beach." Alternatively, we could take a taxi to whatever beach they recommend, as we don't need gear or instruction, or we could take a taxi to Maya Ha Resort, which offers half-day snorkeling trips to a reef.

If anyone has done any of these, I'd appreciate a report.

Dec 30th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Cathy

I didn't find Chankanaab crowed when I was there in June. I guess it depends on how many ships are in port and what time of day you go. I shopped in the morning with my friends and then went to Chankanaab in the afternoon when each of us decided to do our own thing. Chankanaab is pretty good sized place. I entered the water from a small beach near the dolphin enclosure - lots of reef fish close to the encouter pens and of course you can see the dolphins even if you don't do the encounter.

Swim along the ropes headed south and you will see a nice variety of fish and coral. Take your time and swim slowly and you will be suprised at what you see! Sergent Major fish will swim right up to your mask! Keep swiming along the ropes till you get to the Mayan statue that is under water. There is also some reef beyond that. This path is parallel to the beach.

Captain Marvin was about 3-4 hours roughly a half day. I hope your ship is in port for a longer amount of time - if so, that will give you time to do a little shopping - pick up some rum cakes - best souv. from the Caymans!

When are you going? Please come back and post and let us know how the snorkling was on Princess Cays and Costa Maya. Have a great time!!