Reload this Page >

Fort Lauderdale airport can't handle the capacity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:37 AM
tom brinker

We recently took a cruise that left from Fort Lauderdale. <BR><BR>The Fort Lauderdale airport is incapable of handling the check-in and security for the large number of cruise ship passengers that arrive and leave on the weekends. Two-hour waits in line at a minimum. <BR><BR>Avoid Fort Lauderdale airport if you can. <BR><BR>If you have to fly into the airport, don't take the shuttle transfer that some of the cruise lines offer. It's cheaper and faster to take a taxi to the port, which is about a 10-minute drive from the airport.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Theresa

I agree with you. Weekends at FLL airport are awful. Even after the remodel, there is still not enough chairs for people, it is packed, etc. . .Everytime I have gone, they are overbooked and asking for volunteers to fly out two days later.<BR><BR>I flew back from Miami this weekend. The lines at that airport took forever! Though once I got to the gate, there was room to sit and it seemed better than FLL.<BR><BR>It is cheap to take taxis in FLL.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:37 AM
crews shoes

Agreed--stay away from Fort Lauderdale airport if at all possible.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Frequent Cruiser

Agreed, stay away from Fort Lauderdale airport if at all possible. It's a total nightmare on Saturdays and Sundays in particular.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 03:15 AM
JasonH

Both Miami and FLL airports are busy on cruise days. No way to avoid either of them for me.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 04:55 AM
judy cuervo

A few years ago, Fort Lauderdale Airport did have a fabulous lounge for cruise passengers only. Is it still there? Apparently, it was sponsored by several cruise lines and had been one of the airlines' old first-class lounge. It wasn't highly promoted and we stumbled across it quite by accident--just a small sign stating "For Cruise Passengers Only." We found it on our way home and since we had several hours to kill before our flight, we spent the time there. It was practically empty! In fact, I laid down on one of the couches and napped there for about an hour.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Stephanie P.

I wish they would have more than about 3 places to eat and shop. Don't you agree. If Ft. L. is becoming like Miami in cruise ship visitors, maybe they could spruce up the airport. I guess I'm spoiled, I live in Pittsburgh and have a huge mall/airport here.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Sara

They need more chairs! Everytime I go, there is no place to sit.<BR><BR>They also need more restaurants.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:34 PM
june

Returned last night from Ft. Lauderdale airport and it was a nightmare. The lines are unbelievable and the security measures seem extreme. I'm all for security and appreciate it. Since 9/11 we've been through JFK, Washington Dulles, SLC, Houston etc and have never encountered what we did at Ft Lauderdale. Some of the screeners act like storm troopers and the lines are unacceptable. I waited in line to get to the gate for over an hour when Jet Blue decided to divide it into two lines, one for those with early flights and one for later flights. Everyone started running for different lines and I was behind people that just got to the airport. Waited another 20 minutes when I heard a supervisor say make everyone with flights after 2:00 stand against the wall. I'm sorry, but I was not getting out of line again. Finally made it through. By the way, this was my second time in line, I made the mistake of leaving the secured area to see about buying a book to read. Only had my wallet with me, no baggage and they made me go to the back of the line anyway. Don't make that mistake. <BR>After coming off a wonderful service-oriented cruise on the Grand Princess it was like a slap in the face. Avoid this airport on Sunday's if at all possible.