Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Formal Dress? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/formal-dress-64894/)

Kelli Mar 9th, 2000 02:33 PM

Formal Dress?

We are going on our first cruise in May on the Holland America Line. I have heard several different opinions about how "formal" the formal dinners are, but none of the advice has come from people who have been on cruises! <BR>Any suggestions from former cruisers regarding what is appropriate dress for the formal nights?

Parrot Mom Mar 9th, 2000 03:27 PM

Formal night can be a tux and gown or a dark business suit and dressy dress..A few years ago I convinced my husband to rent a tux and he loved it..as a result when the opportunity came up (a sale) he bought one...actually owns two now and is presently looking into a cream dinner jacket, he loves the way he looks in it.. You might want to try renting a tux from the ship for formal nights..you may find that the group on the HA line is a little bit more formal. It';s a great opportunity to get dressed and take "formal" pictures

jan Mar 11th, 2000 08:49 AM

On my first cruise I took what I thought were two nice dresses for formal nights and felt totally under dressed.I would say for the most part people do dress quite formal.All the other cruises I've been on I have taken nicer things for those nights however not every one does and a simple little black dress with pumps and a little jewelry would certainly suffice.I would say there were more men in suits, sports jackets and ties than tux.I think thats a matter of choice.Have a wonderful cruise!

April Mar 11th, 2000 11:37 PM

Our experience on a Holland America cruise (Maasdam) was similar to Jan's. I'd say less than half the men wore tuxes on formal night. I took one classic black dress for formal nights and felt more dressed-up than most, and a long, flower-patterned dress for semi-formal nights and that was just fine. <BR> <BR>One night we ordered in but the food was much better in the restaurant. It was actually more fun to get dressed up, go out and see what everybody else was wearing. It was also fun to not have to take any money. <BR> <BR>I didn't want to have any photos taken, but my husband insisted and, later, I'm glad he did. You don't have to buy them if you don't like them.

Guylaine Mar 12th, 2000 05:12 AM

Kelli: <BR>I have been to Alaska on the Maasdam. There is a tendency to dress up but the gamut is so wide. I doubt you would feel uncomfortable. A simple black dress goes a long way. I always bring one plain dress which can go anywhere with different accessories. One long skirted multi colored dress which can look formal or semiformal. No need to buy a tux. (Would love to see my husband in one but he just wont). Dark sport jackets are the most common for the men. There is a lot of glitz on that ship. Trust me it's not all 24 carat and diamonds. Holland America has the class but nothing snobby. It's my favourite cruise line to this day. We are in our early fifties. Alaska is the one place in the world not to miss. If you will be taking only one cruise in a lifetime, that's the one. Have also sailed on the Westerdam in other areas. If you want particular info. just email me. Have a wonderful trip.