Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Flightseeing Alaska Misty Fjords and fishing tour need suggestions.

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cruise will be in Ketchikan the end of May next year. I saw the following on shoretrips: "flightseeing trips" and a combination of "flightseeing and fishing". We are not a fishing family, but I thought it might be fun to fish a short time in Alaska. I want to take at least one flightseeing trip for the beauty.

Anyone have suggestions on companies and experciences with any tours?

This is our first time to Alaska and there is so much planning that it feels like visiting another country.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:06 AM

Hi Bonnie,

I haven't gone yet, but I can tell you what I found in my research on flightseeing, mostly to top your thread.

We are using Southeast Aviation. They, along with Island Wings, get good reviews over on cruisecritic.com.

Other companies to try include Carlin Air, Family Air, and Seawind Aviation.

A quick look at the official Ketchikan site under things to do will pull up contact information for all of these companies. Or do a google search.

I don't know about the fishing part, however. I don't think these companies do that.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I am going to check these suggestions out.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Be sure to check out Island Wings,(islandwings.com) they are excellent. We did the Misty Fjords flight last year, and are doing a bear viewing excursion with them this year. On the Misty Fjords flight, Michelle (the pilot and owner) lands on a tiny island so that the passengers can get out and walk around. The experience of being in the middle of a crystal clear lake with the Fjords rising above you is magnificent, the air is pure and clear and the views are breathtaking. Truly a once in a lifetime moment. Worth every penny
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Poconolady,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you arrange your flight with Island Wings, or did the cruise ship arrange it? Also, what time of the day did you go?

Thanks.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Island Wings is private and must be arranged directly through Island Wings. We are going for the second time with Michelle in Aug. It is a fantastic trip!
Call quickly to assure your seats! She is well known and very popular.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Katybird.

Have a wonderful trip in Aug.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM

I cruised with Royal Caribbean through the Alaskan inside passage in May 1999. By chance our cruise traveled through the Misty Fjords. I say by chance because - according to the gentleman next to me on deck through the Fjords with the very impressive camera - they only let a very few ships there each year. He chose that particular ship specifically for that one day. I have cruised through some very beautiful places in my life. Northern Europe and some of the Greek Islands are amongst the top of that list. The Misty Fjords was, HANDS DOWN, the most awe inspiring place I have ever laid eyes on.

If your ship is not one of those traveling through the Misty Fjords, but it offers a tour to the Fjords, I would not hesitate. I saw Bald Eagles. I saw a mother bear sitting upright, seemingly trying to sniff us out on the ship while two cubs wrestled to her left and another cub looked back and forth between the ship and his mother.

Even today, I think about that powerful day in my life and my arm hairs stand up.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM

Hey Bonnie - in case you are still looking, we did very much enjoy our flightseeing trip with Southeast Aviation. I would highly recommend it!

Karen
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM
cd

travelbonnie
In case you're still interested in getting info, we took a Southeast Aviation Misty Fjords flight out of Ketchikan and it was wonderful. Make sure you will do a wilderness landing on the water!

Also, our VERY favorite thing we did in Alaska (of many favorite things)was a helicopter flight and landing on a glacier! We took that thru Coastal Helicopters in Juneau and it was just awesome!