Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

after a wonderful cruiseon Celebrity will we be happy on Princess?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:31 AM
kgn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We cruised last christmas on celebrity and had the "perfect" cruise. There was really nothing to complain about. But, next Christmas we are not thrilled with Celebrity's itineraries so we found one that we like on Princess to Panama. We have read many reviews and are having second thoughts about booking Princess. Thoughts?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Research, and hopefully you'll get other opinions here ...Celebrity is a favorite of most all who travel on them, Princess comments I have seen most often include the big ships feeling crowded and that they nickel and dime you. But Princess also has a very loyal past passenger following and great itineraries...If you compare it to Celebrity you may be disappointed, I would just take it as a new experience altogether and have fun either way !...
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I did not cruise Celebrity but comparing to RCCL and Carnival, I find Princess service and food to be the best. We never felt crowded on Grand Princess with over 3,000 pax. As for nickel and dime, again, I find Princess to be better. For example, they don't charge if you forgot or lost your towel from cabin, and don't annoy you to buy drinks like other.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Couldn't stand the nickle and diming of Princess. Never again!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I can only sympathize, because we are following up a fantastic Celebrity Summit cruise with a Royal Caribbean one. We wanted to cruise out of Tampa so we could visit a relative first, and RC had the best itinerary for us.
I am nervous, particularly about the food quality, which was very high on Celebrity. I have done lots of research in books about the cruise lines and on numerous web sites, and I have found such a diversity of opinion that I still don't know what to expect.
As stated above, every cruise line has its converts, so they all must do something right.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:53 AM

I felt more nicked and dimed on Celebrity than on Princess. Give Princess a try, I find that I prefer Princess to Celebrity as a cruise line.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM
JP

After 2 cruises on Princess, we found Celebrity to be a huge disappointment. Food and service were inferior to that on Princess, so it's been back to Princess since then.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Honestly I liked neither line. Too crowded and too much nickle-&-diming on Princess. The dining room was unacceptable on Celebrity - the world worst waiter, so-called wine steward who didn't know a fricking thing about wine, and indifferent food. It sure spoiled our trip. But from what I see on these boards, we might have gotten the worst waiter on the whole Celebrity fleet. I'll give them that doubt but it doesn't mean we'll give them another chance. We haven't.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM

simonv, you should have asked to move tables if you had a bad waiter and wine steward -- we've never had bad service on Celebrity -- only great experiences.

What's your cruise line of choice?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Silversea.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Well, then that explains everything. You're not nickle/dimed -- you pay it all upfront.

One needs to compare apples with apples when responding to kgn's concerns.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I've tried many of the mass market lines before finally giving up on them. By the time you figure the additional costs, tips, drinks, wine, water, etc., per day cost of so-called luxuary lines isn't as much as you'd think, especially if you catch a good discount.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM

We've sailed with both. You'll love Princess. Of all of the cruises we have done, their cabins were the most spacious and well designed. Get a balconey! I'm jealous of the itinerary - the Panama Canal is definitely on our list!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM

WE have been Celebrity people for the last 10 years==Last Dec 04 we took the Golden Princess and fell in love with Princess all over again..

Food was superior to Celebrity ( except for the fancy dining room on Celebrity--that was outstanding!)..

We did personal choice dining and again, fell in love with that..

SO much so, we are doing another Princess cruise in April...

Go.............you will not be disappointed..