Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   First Cruise - attire? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/first-cruise-attire-902830/)

roamer Aug 15th, 2011 05:01 PM

First Cruise - attire?

DH and I will be on a Celebrity Cruise departing Civitavecchia on October 22. We stop in Cagliari, Palma, Lisbon, and then on to NY. I'm wondering about what to wear, especially for the two "formal" dinner nights. Also, what temperature might we expect crossing the Atlantic at that time of year? Advice will be much appreciated!

abram Aug 15th, 2011 06:26 PM

If you're a man, wear a tux or a dark suit.

If you're a woman, a long formal or a very dressy cocktail dress.

charli Aug 16th, 2011 04:01 AM

I don't think you need to go as formal as "abram" suggests. If you are familiar with Chico's, their black "silky" slacks and a top or 2 of a dressier fabric or shell and jacket (they have all kinds) make for a simple outfit that doesn't take up much room. I am sure such things are available at other stores but that one carries a variety (IMHO). My husband prefers a nice sports jacket, black pants, shirt & tie. I have seen very few tux on Celebrity. Everyone is concerned these days about keeping bags and weight to a minimum.

Temperatures in the north Atlantic can be cold end of Oct. I have a gortex jacket that folds up easily, is light weight, waterproof, windbreaker - it is great. Layers would probably be good. Enjoy

jacketwatch Aug 16th, 2011 07:10 AM

I agree with charli. Actually attire has changed a lot from what is suggested. You will see folks dressed much more casually on formal nights. I have even seen men admitted w/o a jacket. However for women as charli said should be OK and for men at least a sport coat and a nice pair of slacks should be worn IMHO. No Ed Hardy shirts. :D

Aristotle Aug 16th, 2011 08:05 AM

You may see a few men in a tux the first nite, but not the second. Passengers may be forcing cruise lines out of the F. Scott Fitzgerald era and the attendent tux rental fees. A sport coat, w/tie is nice, but I am thinking that a clean sweat suit might get you in. A lot of men look better in casual than dress clothes.
I would be careful about the Atlantic crossing. Chances are you will have some cold days.

Orlando_Vic Aug 16th, 2011 08:08 AM

Just remember, formal nights are not mandatory. There are plenty of other places on the ship (including specialty restaurants) whey you can dine, if you want to opt out.

roamer Aug 16th, 2011 10:00 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. I think we will be fine!

doug_stallings Aug 17th, 2011 07:50 AM

I'm not sure I agree with the posters here---especially Aristotle unless his/her tongue is planted firmly in his/her cheek for that comment about a clean sweat suit.

Cruisers are a little more formal on Celebrity and Holland America than on some other lines. And this isn't a Caribbean cruise, so I think it will probably attract people who dress up more. I could be wrong, but I think you'll feel comfortable in a dressy outfit. But there are venues where you can eat in less than formal attire---not necessarily a tux or beaded evening gown, but certainly a dark suit or nice dress or pants suit.

You might encounter some rough seas on the crossing. And it may be fairly cold at times.

Eschew Aug 17th, 2011 09:38 AM

Doug, could the "sweat suit" be a typo? Or he means you'll get sweaty wearing a suit? :?

I do agree with Aristotle that the formal nights are less formal now compare to 20 years ago. Even for the Cunard, any type of office or business attire is acceptable. Men in suits and ladies in a cocktail dress or business suit are perfectly fine.

tenthumbs Aug 17th, 2011 09:49 AM

Check with the cruiseline to see what their requirements are. Everyone has a different idea what constitutes "formal." For some, it's a tux or long evening gown, for others, clean jeans and a T-shirt without holes in it, and everthing in between! ;)

con_brio Aug 17th, 2011 12:19 PM

Thanks for this. I've booked two alternate restaurants (guessing which nights are the formal nights). The other option is eating in our room. We are going on a Celebrity cruise tour to Alaska...you know, where we need suitcase space for hiking boots and sweaters and coats. It's a relief to learn that Chico's traveller's stuff is fine--wish they would just do away with the whole notion of "formal". It is intimidating. But reading this makes me think that maybe we can go ahead and try at least one formal night. (as long as it's not really formal).

Eschew Aug 17th, 2011 03:01 PM

Guess what, alternate restaurants could be more formal than dining room formal nights. Some people even dress up for non-formal nights as it is an "extra fee" place and people think special occassions and "dress up". On some ships, I gave seen the staff put table cloths on the tables in the buffet area on formal nights.

I just pack a light weight jacket, a tie and a wrikle free shirt which doesn't take up a lot of space, and they have not kick me out of any dining room on formal nights yet. I may get an odd look from other guests but then I stared back at the people who over dress.

You will never see those people again in your life. Why would you care what they think?

doug_stallings Aug 18th, 2011 05:34 AM

Dress isn't as formal on an Alaska or Caribbean cruise as it would be on a European or Trans-Atlantic cruise. I think you'll be fine, but the point that Eschew makes about alternative restaurants is a good one. They are often the more dressy venues, unless you are talking about one of the "alternative" restaurants that takes up part of the regular buffet area or an outdoor venue.

charli Aug 18th, 2011 07:49 AM

Some cruise lines have done away with formal nights and every night is "country club casual" which can mean a lot of things. However, it mainly means no jeans, shorts, t-shirts, halters, running shoes in the main dining room - just dressing nicely as you would if you went to a nice restaurant at home in a city. I don't know about where you live, but here there wouldn't be anywhere I could wear those really formal clothes any more - might be sad to some, but true. I'm not going to spend my hard-earned money on some clothes I would have no use for except for the cruise or 2 we take yearly. Other more interesting things to spend it on.

tenthumbs Aug 18th, 2011 08:20 AM

I've noticed on NCL that "formal night" means you get a chance to dress in your finest and have photos taken by the ship's photographer......but participation is not madatory.

doug_stallings Aug 18th, 2011 08:59 AM

But back to the original point, the OP is cruising on Celebrity, not NCL (which is strictly casual), and this line isn't one of the ones that is changing to country club casual. People still dress on these ships.

roamer Aug 18th, 2011 03:00 PM

Interesting about the alternate dining options being perhaps more formal. DH is opting for a jacket, dark pants, dress shirts and tie. I have a black cocktail dress that I bought on sale awhile back and have never worn. This looks like the chance! Also black silk pants outfit. We live in Hawaii, so "dress up" here is quite different from a cruise ship, I think.

doug_stallings Aug 19th, 2011 05:10 AM

That sounds just fine.

tenthumbs Aug 19th, 2011 08:15 AM

I DO realize the OP is cruising on Celebrity and not NCL, which is why I gave the recommendation of checking with the cruiseline to see what THEIR requirements are. Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes formal~the black cocktail dress may be "dress up" attire in Hawaii, but may be considered too casual for certain cruiselines' formal nights. It would also be good to know if formal attire is mandatory........

roamer Aug 19th, 2011 02:38 PM

I checked the Celebrity Silhouette site. It says, formal wear for the ladies, "cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit." For the gentlemen, "tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks." There are two "formal" nights. No indication that the specialty dining requires other than "dressy casual."