First Alaska Cruise

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Lauren

First Alaska Cruise

We are considering taking an Alaskan cruise this August, with our two teenage boys (18 and 13). We will be in Vancouver for other reasons, and so it seemed an ideal option. I would appreciate any feedback regarding specific ships, itineraries, etc. Cruising would not normally be our thing - we prefer to go quite casual and get close to nature. My preference would be a smaller, more casual ship like the Cruise West, however, they don't operate out of Vancouver. Any suggestions?
Also, will we be surrounded by a much older crowd? All of the brochures/web sites seem to feature white-haired people in formal dress - this is not us!
Finally, given our timeline (one week) and budget, a roundtrip cruise is pretty much our only option. Is it worth it, or is the Inside Passage too boring?
Many thanks for your ideas,
Lauren

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 11:22 AM
dina

Our Alaskan cruise was one of our best trips ever. Your enjoyment factor may come from which cruiseline and which ship you choose. The scenery and wildlike was beautiful and never boring. Our ship had a mixed age group and provided plenty of casual activities and food venues. There were only 1 night of formal dining and many individuals just wore dark suits rather than tuxedos. If you don't like to dress up just don't eat in the main dining room that night. We have been on several trips and cruises but few compare to Alaska with the wildlife, glaciers and interesting ports of call.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Lauren,

You must find a travel agent that is Alaska savvy. It is a very confusing area to visit and you could end up not seeing much of Alaska or spending more than is necessary.

Whatever you do, budget or not, take the round trip. You will miss the most important part of Alaska.

My advice, book the brand new Carnival Spirit, Southbound. It has the best itinerary and it is not that dressy even though it is an older crowd.

Not too many passengers go to bed at 9 PM as on other cruise lines.

The price of the cruise is about half that of Holland and Princess. You will not regret it. I have been booking Carnival in Alaska for quite a few years now. And I do not get paid any extra (as a matter of fact, I get paid less, since the cruise is less).

If I had a few hours, I can tell you all about Alaska.

Paul

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Chad

If you're interested in sailing on a small ship, make the small investment of time, and head south from Vancouver to board in Seattle. Travel between Seattle and Vancouver is easy, between 2-3 hours driving, and feasible by car, train, bus, or plane.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Jennifer

We are a travel agency that has much experience in sending our clients on cruises around the world.
Please contact me via e-mail or phone 800.823.6063 if I can assist you with any questions or reservations.
Information about our company:
Travelways is a family owned member of the Giants travel consortium. We specialize in travel to Southern Africa and South America and around the world. We are located just outside of Minneapolis, and have been incorporated here for over 25 years. If you would like to find out more about our company, please call the following telephone numbers:
ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) - (703) 739-8739
Better Business Bureau of Minnesota - (800) MINN BBB
Giants Travel Consortium - 1 (800) 442-6871 (New York Headquarters).
If you have internet access, check out our web site at www.travelbeyond.com
Thank you and best regards,
Jennifer

Travel Beyond
214 South Minnetonka Avenue
Wayzata, MN 55391
952.475.2565 Tel
800.823.6063 Tel
952.475.1029 Fax
www.travelbeyond.com
[email protected] or [email protected]

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Bruce

I took a 7-day inside passage cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy last summer, and would highly recommend it for a nice mix of luxury and nature. I purposely signed up for the "active" shore excursions at each port: mountain biking, hiking, sea kayaking, etc., and was glad I did. That also allowed me to meet the other athletic people on the cruise pretty quickly. Celebrity is pretty elegant and upscale, but even so can be less expensive than the "expedition" lines such as Cruise West if you pick a normal cabin. As to age, I saw lots of families with their teenagers, and a lot of them were on my excursions. At 39 years old, I was right in the middle of the age distribution on board. I loved Celebrity so much, and the 7-day route, that I'm taking the same cruise this summer on the new Infinity!

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Louise

Lauren,
I must agree with Dina. A group of 20 of us did the inside passage on the Celebrity Galaxy two years ago. There were ages 8y.o. to 70y.o with us and we all sat together and everyone enjoyed it. The Galaxy is gorgeous and very well kept. The food was superb and the service was very efficient. We stayed on the penthouse level and was treated like royalty. My kids, who were then 12y.o and 15y.o. enjoyed it so much, they want to go back on the same cruise.
I think the age mixture was good on this sailing, but I must admit that there were more senior adults (70 plus) than mid-twenties on board. I don't think they had a lot for the kids thirteen and older to do, but the younger kids looked for the their personal group each day (forget what they called them). Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate a moment about doing it again except, I think the weather may not ever be as perfect as it was two years ago early June. Enjoy.