Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Finding out general ages of cruise companions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/finding-out-general-ages-of-cruise-companions-422406/)

alina555 Aug 30th, 2008 09:07 PM

Finding out general ages of cruise companions?

Are there any sites out there that break down the typical age groups on individual cruise ships by destination? My husband and I are in our 20-30's, and are trying to avoid ships with a higher percentage of seniors, kids, and rowdy partying singles (no offense to anyone reading this in those groups!). Cruisecritic and other review sites will sometimes make broad comments on some age groups, but I'm hoping to find something a little more detailed. Or is this only something a TA would be able to help with? We are trying to book our very first cruise to the Panama Canal. :) Thanks!

Rhea58 Aug 31st, 2008 02:38 AM

I don't know of any per se but you can discount HAL which skews to much older cruisers than your age group.

Suspect Royal Carib & Princess (when school is in session) might work for you. Suggest posting your age query on their boards on cruisecritic to get a response.

Jeff801 Aug 31st, 2008 10:46 AM

My perception is that you can avoid either children or seniors (I are one), but not both.

Because of my age, I prefer to avoid children and teenagers. Because of that, I prefer Oceania which "has no special programs for children." While the average age is surely high on those ships, there were always several dozen younger couples on the cruises I have been on.

They have Panama Canal Cruises for 2009-2010 already posted on their website. If you want to go this year, you may be late to get a balcony cabin which is an essential for a Panama Canal Cruise.

Your travel agent should be able to tell you something about the ages of the passengers on any given line. If not, get a copy of the brochures and check out the age and dress of the models.

mess Aug 31st, 2008 03:14 PM

We took the Panama Canal cruise several years ago on Princess. It was mostly older people, over the age of 60.

alina555 Aug 31st, 2008 09:03 PM

Thanks - we were planning on the Royal Caribbean, so sounds like we might be on the right track...I'll try posting on CC too. :)

FainaAgain Sep 2nd, 2008 08:32 AM

I think on Cruise Critic there are ship reviews, not by the posters, but by the website, they mention the average age, and age recommendations.

mrcamp Sep 2nd, 2008 01:49 PM

I agree with jeff801. You can mostly avoid one or the other but not both.

In my experience, princess has a more older crowd, and Royal Caribbean has more younger folks than older. Also, depending on when you are going, if school is out, you will see lots of kids on most cruises.

jamesr3939 Sep 7th, 2008 08:31 PM

Best bet is to ask a good travel agent. When we were traveling as just a young couple, then with two kids, and now as an "oldish" couple, our travel agent can always tell us which ship is the best for our needs.

You can not go by cruise lines as some ships even on specific dates will cater to different types.

Usually, you will find the longer cruises +10 days will be an older crowd as they can take time off from work or don't work.

Holiday periods will find more kids with parents and grandparents.