Reload this Page >

Female 44, Traveling Solo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Lois

After reading all these messages....I am planning a cruise..I have been on 3 of them but none recently. The Last one was in 1992 for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary...I live in Florida and I have found some very reasonable rates going solo... on Celebrity, Holland America and NCL...Can you all give me some input on which you would recommend? I have traveled on my own over the years and find this website absolutely amazing..I am not looking to Meet "someone"..but if that happens.. well ok too LOL...But I know cruises can be Great.. so... out of the 3 above cruise lines.. would ya'll care to give me some feedback? Thanks and Happy New to everyone.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Lois,<BR><BR>I would choose Celebrity or Holland. Holland rates in the Caribbean for 2003 are very reasonable. Just about equal to the new ships of Celebrity.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Lois

Thanks Paul... what about RC-Enchantmet of the Seas? Is that a much older ship? I got a really low price... Lower than HAL or Celebrity...Is it &quot;you get what you pay for&quot;?<BR>Thanks

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Peter

Lois - Paul is anti-RCCL so he will say stay away. I am pro-RCCL and have sailed two of Enchantment's sister ships - the Grandeur and Rhapsody. They are about three generations old and were built in the 1997-98 time period. To us, they were the perfect size - not as big as the voyager class and not as small as the vision class. You will have a great time.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Lois

Thanks...I have 3 new brochures... will look through them and hope that gives me some insight as well

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Paul Therault

I have nothing against Royal Caribbean except for their small staterooms (older ships) and their average food. It is a mass-market cruise line. I believe you would be out of your element. Also Celebrity prices should be about equal but if you want budget sail RCCL.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Lois

Hi Paul, thanks...I think I will sail with Celebrity...my sister has been on more than 50 cruises ...shes loves them LOL..she recommended Celebrity as well, it sounds like its a bit classier than the others...I have always enjoyed traveling on my own but she thought there may be more adults my own age on Celebrity as opposed to Holland America..are they a bit on the senior side???<BR>And yes I am on a budget.. but.. I got a very good price..so I think I will treat myself to what seems to be the nicer of the 3!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Lois,<BR><BR>The reports I am getting is that Holland is bringing on more younger passengers but the passenger profile is still geriatric. I presume with the new ships starting with the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam things will change dramatically. Yet to be seen, so I would say cruise Celebrity until some history develops.<BR><BR>Just my opinion of course. Not to upset Peter since RCCL owns Celebrity.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Lois

Thanks, Never too old to learn LOL.. I didnt realize..Royal Caribeean owns Celebrity???<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM
hagar

Royal Caribbean does indeed own Celebrity. Of the two, Celebrity would be my choice, of the three, Holland America.<BR>One thing you may wish to consider <BR>( aside from the small cabins on RCCL)<BR>is that Royal Caribbean carries a lot of kids. Don't know if that would be a concern or not for you.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Another

Lois, when are you planning to cruise? i.e. is it in the fall? Are you getting an &quot;off season&quot; discount? I am also someone who would like to cruise solo without worrying about finding someone to cruise with, but I am always put off by the single supplement.<BR><BR>Could you share a rough estimate of what they are charging you and what kind of cabin it is? Thanks.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Lois

Hi another... I am planning to go in May...AFTER spring break..and normally I am put off by the supplements too... but I really have been saving LOL.. I am paying about a grand..for a 7 night cruise..I know, its much more than if 2 ppl would be going.. but to be honest.. I am giving myself this trip as a 45th birthday present LOL<BR>And I havent booked it yet...and I dont know the cabin size...but I have heard really nice things about celebrity..<BR>Oh, and thanks for the tip about the kids on RC.....I dont have any...I can deal with them but I think Celebrity maybe more what I am looking for...<BR>Also, Another If I can tell you anything else.. let me know.. will be glad to share info..<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Debbie

Hi Lois,I've been reading thru the posts and did not see it mentioned where your going? Just curious...<BR>Debbie

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Lois

hi Debby..I am probably going the middle to end of May..I havent booked it yet though..<BR>Are you going on a cruise also?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Lois

Oh.. sorry--you asked where I was going...LOL... to St Thomas, St Marteen, San Juan....etc...

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Another

A grand is not bad, especially for a Celebrity ship. Thanks for sharing! I too have done splurge vacations to celebrate &quot;milestone&quot; birthdays - and it is definitely worth it! Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the spa - Celebrity is supposed to have an excellent one on its ships.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Lois

Another, thanks so much! I still have to decide if I will make it definite LOL...I guess I better do it soon, or the price will probably go up.....