Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Favorite Cruise Ship and Destination (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/favorite-cruise-ship-and-destination-481192/)

GailLK Oct 19th, 2004 05:31 AM

Favorite Cruise Ship and Destination

Would like to take a "GREAT" cruise someplace for longer than 7 days on a great ship with great food, great shore excursions, etc. Any suggestions? We have been on only 1 cruise so far to Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Constellation and loved it! Thinking of end of January departure this time... THanks!

petlover Oct 19th, 2004 07:06 AM

If you're limited to January, this may give you few options.... BUT, to answer your original question....my favorite cruise is probably the Mediterranean including Sorrento, Venice, Bordeaux, Barcelona and my favorite ship is the Radisson Voyager.

You may want to consider some of the winter cruises in South America or through the Panama Canal and Costa Rica. If great food (not just good) is important you may want to go on one of the more upscale ships where "NO" just isn't in their vocabulary!

GailLK Oct 19th, 2004 07:50 AM

petlover-Any recommendations on the "BEST" upscale ships? Thanks!

simonv Oct 19th, 2004 08:11 AM

Silversea.

winner Oct 19th, 2004 04:26 PM

In January many of the smaller ships are in South American waters or in the Far East. I suggest Seabourn Pride in south America (Chile, Argentina, Brazil). Your TA should have details ro visit seabourn.com

petlover Oct 20th, 2004 08:20 AM

Gail, there are lots of great small ships. How small is small? Some people want fewer than 300 passengers. Others will go up to 800 passengers and still consider it small. Best is so subjective. You can't go wrong with Radisson, Silversea or Seabourn. All 3 are excellent with very high ratings. If the cabin itself is most important, you might do better with Radisson or Silversea. Radisson probably has the largest standard cabins with walk-in closets, separate tub and shower. On the Voyager and Mariner all cabins have balconies. On the Navigator and Diamond, most have balconies. On Silversea ships the lowest category Vista cabins do not have balconies. If a balcony is important to you than don't opt for a Seabourn ship as they don't exist. I believe the Seabourn and Silversea ships will have the fewest number of passengers if this is important.

Food wise, all 3 are fabulous with award winning chefs. Also ask yourself how important a larger cabin or a balcony is to you.

Also, don't rule out Crystal. They carry more passenger and not as good a value for the $$ IMO as others cruiselines but still a quality product. Crystal may have better entertainment than the 3 mentioned above since they carry more passengers onboard.

You may want to let the itinerary, ports and price dictate your choice.

GailLK Oct 20th, 2004 12:28 PM

Thanks for all your feedbacks. A word to the wise, never book your cruise 3 months before departure. There's nothing left, especially in the peak months of January, if you're going to the Caribbean. I wanted a more exciting cruise like Panama Canal, South Pacific, South America or Mexican Rivera, but had to settle for Western Caribbean. But did get a nice cruise ship with a great cabin.....

petlover Oct 20th, 2004 02:10 PM

Not sure if you must sail in January but there are usually good deals to be found during the first 1/2 of December. While most are home Christmas shopping some are cruising at very reduced rates! January the prices soar to the warmer destinations.

manycruiser Oct 22nd, 2004 01:06 PM

Best cruise........Buenos Aires to Valpariso or reverse. 14 Terrific days, have gone twice, and liked it more the second time. January is a perfect time to go.

Overall.....I prefer Celebrity. Good product for the money. Going back again in January!

BudgetQueen Oct 23rd, 2004 05:06 AM

If you want to wait until at least May- Alaska is just excellent for scenic sailing and great tours.

hamitzer Oct 25th, 2004 03:33 PM

Best Ever!!!ANTARCTIA

try Socieity expedition's World Descoverer,and hapag LLoyds's Hanseatic.
Hanseatic is great, not too big with all the comfort and stunning shore trips with zodiacs.

abram Oct 25th, 2004 06:22 PM

Just got back from Oceania's Insignia, and I would take that ship (or its twin, Regatta) almost anywhere.