Family alaskan cruise

Sep 1st, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Family alaskan cruise

Looking for recommendations/input on a 7 night cruise to Alaska with our two teenaged boys - can we go from Seattle or is Vancouver a better choice? Which ship(s) will have less formal attire reqmts for the children at dinner, which has good activities for a 15 and 17 year old, etc? We've never taken a cruise because we were afraid of being "couped up". Probably going in June 2004. Thanks!
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM

We took an Alaksan cruise with our then 13 year old daughter summer of 2001. We sailed out of Vancouver on Celebrity Mercury. I wouldn't worry about the formal nights for the boys. If they have khaki slacks for dinner and a jacket for the formal nights they should be fine. Before our first cruise six years ago, my husband was worried about being bored and/or seasick. He has never been either on the four cruises we've taken. I really enjoyed sailing out of Vancouver. We did our own air with frequent flyer miles and flew in a day before our sailing. We rented bikes and biked around Stanley Park and took the ferry with our bikes to Granville Island. I enjoyed Vancouver very much, but Seattle probably has lots to offer also.
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks - what time of year did you go on the cruise, what excursions did you take and what did your daughter enjoy most? (we have boys....)
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:42 PM

Hi,

I would recommend Princess Cruises for Alaska. They have ships going out of Seattle and Vancouver, but I think the best itinerary is either northbound or southbound between Vancouver/Seward. I think you miss a lot of Alaska on the round-trip Inside Passage cruise itineraries. You might also want to consider doing a cruisetour with a 7 night cruise and 3 night tour package up into Fairbanks, Denali National Park and to see Mt. McKinley - you will see the real Alaska on a cruisetour.

Princess has been doing Alaska cruises for more than 50 years and have the inside track for the best suppliers and resources in Alaska. In fact, they contract to the other cruise lines in some cases. Princess is a very classy, affordable, family-friendly and teen friendly cruise line and they put some of their best, most beautiful ships in Alaska in the summer. Book early, and make sure that your travel agent applies any price reductions to your booking. Then, you get the best cabin location and best price guarantee.

Have a great trip!
Julia Elzie
Cruising Co., Etc.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:43 AM

We went in June. I'm pretty cheap on the shore excursions and booked none thru the ship. Skagway was probably my favorite port. We rented a car and drove part way to Whitehorse. The scenery was great and it was much warmer when you got inland. I know my daughter actually liked the Caribbean cruise we took much more because of the weather. You really couldn't enjoy the outdoor pools on the Alaskan Cruise. I'd have to go back thru my photos, etc to remember exactly what we did in each port. I do wish I had sprung for the cost of one of the float plane or helicopter excursions, but I just couln't justify a $500.00 shore excursion for the three of us.

I wanted to use Princess but didn't because of the cabins. I couldn't find a cabin with a balcony that would accomodate three people (at a reasonable price) on the Princess ships.