Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Explorer to WEstern Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/explorer-to-western-caribbean-500416/)

janieanderson Feb 1st, 2005 06:44 PM

Explorer to WEstern Caribbean

How's this ship? We've been on 2 other RC ships in the past and loved the food, but have read other posters say they don't like the food on RC. Also, anyone know about cheaper excursions --ports are Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Thanks!
Janie

janieanderson Feb 1st, 2005 06:46 PM

woops! I was trying to put one on the general interest and one on the RC spot. Sorry for duplication.
Janie

12743 Feb 2nd, 2005 11:37 AM

Food is different on all RCCL cruises. We were on the 'Brilliance in Nov. and the food was fantastic but in Jan. the food was terrible on the Jewel. You'll love the Voyager class ship and lots to do for all.

diann Feb 6th, 2005 11:13 AM

I just returned from RC cruise on Grandeur of the Sea. It is an older ship, 1996 I think so it is showing its age. The food was still adequate although I had been on the Radiance before and I still had a nice time on this cruise. Ports--depends on your interests. Costa Maya is up and coming place. Not a whole lot there at this time. I happened to like it because it keeps with the authenticity of Mexico versus the americanized tourist feel to it. Just my opinion. You can get an awesome massage on the beach for $20.00 for 40 minutes!! It was very good. (Where else can you find this?) Grand Cayman is for the beach. Taxi's are plentiful for 7 mile beach. $3.00 a person, one way. There is a beach in Cozumel Playa Azur I think it was, not a very large beach, but 9 per person includes a lounger and 2 drinks per person. (or Food credit.) If you like to snorkel all places have great snorkeling. Not sure about Belize. I did speak with another lady on a cruise who was there and didn't like it at all.(??)

SonnyV Feb 16th, 2005 08:47 PM

Hi Janie,
We did this cruise two weeks ago. The ship is great. It was our 24th cruise with RCCL. In Belize we did the Cave Tubing excursion but not with the ship. We booked in off the internet. $60 per person lunch included. The ship was $90 per person. We chose Wet and Wild. It was AWSOME! In Costa Maya just get off the ship. There is a new area that is beautiful. In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park. A $10 cab and $12 enterance fee. You can't go wrong. In Grand Cayman we did the stingray tour with Captain Marvin's. $35 per person. If you would like to see pictures of this cruise go to www.sonnyv.smugmug.com
then click on the Explorer gallery.

wtggirl Feb 17th, 2005 08:09 AM

You can do your own thing in many of these ports. If you like to snorkel and the beach try the Chankaanab National park in Cozumel. $10 taxi ride and $12 admission per adult. A fantastic wide beach, walking trails, snorkeling, only draw back is entry is rocky in all but a small walk in beach area. In Grand Cayman again it is easy. Shopping is good here and the Tortuga Rum factory is close. Also, for snorkeling check out Cemetary reef on 7 mile beach. The BEST snorkeling off any beach I have ever done. For cheaper excursions check out the web site www.shoretrips.com which offers excursions that a bit less than the cruise ships!