Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Explorer of the Seas from New Jersey (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/explorer-of-the-seas-from-new-jersey-675094/)

sktutor Jan 30th, 2007 08:06 AM

Explorer of the Seas from New Jersey

I am considering taking a cruise on Explorer of the Seas next Feb. that leaves from New Jersey. Since it will be cold on the first and last "at sea" days, I was wondering if someone could describe what those days are like. Is the ship very crowded because everyone is inside? Is there enough activities so you don't get bored?

doug_stallings Jan 31st, 2007 06:44 PM

Most of the real cruising takes place at night, so after you board the ship, you'll actually wake up in Florida, and it will be warm. Similarly, you'll leave Florida in the evening of the last night and wake up in New Jersey, and then you have to leave the ship. I don't think you'll have to worry about activities on either the first or last day.

cruiseluv Jan 31st, 2007 08:04 PM

Doug,

No, he will not wake up next day in Miami. He will wake up in Labadee, Haiti after 2 full days of cruising (ie. at sea). The same on the way back. They'll leave San Juan and cruise for 2 full days before arriving NJ.

sktitor,
I'm sorry , I don't know 100% the answer to your question but it could be chilly. A friend just came back from a Sovereign of the Seasa cruise from Florida to Bahamas and she says the high was 60 degrees.

doug_stallings Feb 1st, 2007 04:55 AM

Cruiseluv makes a good point, and I should have actually looked at the itinerary before answering. With this much time at sea, you'll probably spend the last full day at sea somewhere around the Bahamas, rather than off the coast of Florida, though I still think you'll be doing most of the sailing through the really cold areas on your first and last nights. But we have to be realistic. Miami can have temps in the 60s during the winter, and so can the Bahamas. You only get the really warm temperatures when you actually enter the Caribbean. But I still don't think you'll have temps in the 40s or 50s. The mid- to upper 60s won't keep everyone indoors ... and there is a lot to do on a ship besides lay by the pool.

GBelle Feb 10th, 2007 05:38 PM

I noticed that this ship has an ice rink on board. I've read reviews that say the shows at the ice rink are very good. (Is it cold watching them?)

But I can't find out if passengers can skate on the rink. Can they? Is there a separate charge? Do they charge for skates (and if so how much)?
Thanks for your help.

spurs Feb 11th, 2007 03:10 AM

The pools definitely will be crowded on sea days if weather is good.
To me, it is neither cold nor hot in studio B where ice skating shows are, all depends on what you're used to; maybe just a little cool. You can skate during certain hours which will be advertised in daily flyer (Compass if I remember correctly). The requirement is long pants for safety. Skates rental is free.