Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Experience on Delta Queen or RiverBarge cruises? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/experience-on-delta-queen-or-riverbarge-cruises-33268/)

Dan B Oct 12th, 1998 04:44 AM

Experience on Delta Queen or RiverBarge cruises?

Can anyone comment on the American Queen (Delta Queen line)or the new RiverBarge Excursion out of New Orleans/Memphis in the summer or early fall?

Dick Hardy Nov 4th, 1998 02:40 PM

We did the Mississippi Queen from Memphis to NO last May and had a lovely time. Saying that, however, it's a strange cruise! The average passenger was probably over 70 and the shore excursions are geared to that. It is not an active cruise, barring the dancing. Food is OK, service is friendly but not as professional as in most cruises. Staterooms are not big (don't know how they photograph them for the brochure the way they do!)Excursions, although not particularly active, are very well done as are the lectures on board. If you have specific questions, let me know. Dick

Don D. Jul 22nd, 2000 03:22 AM

We just finished a river trip on the new Columbia Queeen on the Columbia river in Oregon. This is a brand new vessel on its inaugural season, in fact this was only its 5th trip. It is not a paddle wheel boat and carries a max of about 168 passengers. The age group is on the older side, the food was good but not great, and the crew was friendly. There were some problems with the room maid due to her inexperience, as with some of the wait staff for the same reason. These are the problems to be expected on an inaugural type cruise. <BR>IMPMORTANT: Do not book either of the two AA or AAA cabins in the stern of the ship. Extremely noisy and the French doors do not open. The doors have been caulked shut to keep out the diesel fumes and the is a "exhaust fume suppressing spray" that blows pack on the windows at certain times, blocking the view. Thea noise and virbrations in these cabins is so bad we have recommended the cabins not be used until the problem is fixed. <BR>There are also two AA cabins on each side of the ship that are right above exhaust fans that run constantly. With the French doors open, you cannot carry on a quiet conversation. <BR>The shore tours are good. The boat travels all night every night from one port to another.

Dan B Jul 22nd, 2000 04:36 AM

Thanks for your reply.

t. laux Jan 17th, 2002 07:52 AM

In October 2001, I and my wife traveled on the American Queen from Chattanooga, TN to St. Louts, MO. We were part of the 6 passengers on the boat under 50. The Pilot said the average age was 76 and it was a younger crowd than normal. The food and entertainment was geared to seniors. I AM STILL WAITING ON A REFUND for airfare we didn't use that was promised to me from the American Classic Voyages - owners of the American, Delta, and Mississippi Queen Riverboats. I am glad I went, I would NOT do it again, and particularly at the prices we paid. We went on a two for one special, yet most of the folks on the boat paid 1/5 what we paid (retired military discounts, travel agent discounts, or holdovers from the previous week who got a reduced rate to fill up the boat - as it was it was only half full

Jo Carol Feb 18th, 2002 12:52 PM

My husband and I were on the Delta Queen in April 2000 for a 4 nite cruise from New Orleans to New Orleans. We enjoyed it very much, as we liked the smaller ship. The food was excellent, but the rooms are very, very small. The entertainment does leave something to be desired and the staff is friendly but standoffish. The decor of the ship was really magnificient with antique fixtures and lots of stained glass, even in the dining room. I especially enjoyed the shore excursions and seeing the plantations, which are my favorite. We were 51 and 53 at the time. I would say the average age was older, (65) but not so old as I've read here. I don't know if I would do it again, it is very expensive!!! I think that's why the older crowd, usually the retired seniors that can afford to travel. It is a unique experience though and I'm glad we did it. If you would like to contact me via e-mail, please feel free.

Laura Feb 19th, 2002 09:23 AM

I sailed on the American Queen about two years ago and had a terrific time and I'm only 34. Granted, the cruise is not geared toward very active people but I went for the relaxtion of it. It was so nice rocking on a porch swing on the "front porch" with a cup of coffee in my hand and just watching the river roll by. Personally, I saw people from every age group, even a few children and teenagers but they had to keep themselves busy since there was no childrens program. Food I thought was very good. I wasn't interested in the nightly entertainment since it was geared toward an older age group so I took advantage of the movies aboard or just read and played tons of scrabble. I had an outside cabin (about 135 square feet) with a bay window that had complete privacy. So nice waking up and watching the river from your bed.