Excursions in Alaska - book independently?

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursions in Alaska - book independently?

On my first cruise ever to Alaska. Would like to book a couple of excursions but they are all so expensive through the cruiseline. Can you book safely with outside agencies or is it better to do it thru the cruiseline? Also, We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Point. What are the best excursions for each? We are a family of 5. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:07 AM

Yes, it's safe to book excursions with outside companies, and it's almost always cheaper. At every port, you'll find booths at or near the pier where you can book everything yourself. It's also possible to book things in advance if you feel more comfortable doing that. Without knowing anything about you, I couldn't begin to recommend specific activities for you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

We are a family of 5 (3 teenage boys) traveling with my parents and sister. would just like to know what is the best with each port, ie, is it better to do a whale watch in juneau or icy strait point, etc. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 05:53 AM

In Juneau, we loved Mendenhall Glacier--seeing it, watching the film, hiking. The State of Alska Museum is excellent. We enjoyed touring the State Capitol, but we're odd that way. Didn't get to take the tram up Mt. Roberts and hike down, but wanted to.

In Ketchikan, we liked the Totem Bight State Park, Totem Heritage Center, SE Alaska Discovery place (can't quite remember the name).
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM

Do not expect big discounts for most independent booked Alaska tours. But you can get, more personal attention, smaller groups and longer tours.

There are hundreds of tours to consider. Do your homework, and narrow down your interests. Then repost.

As for whale watching out of Juneau or Hoonah- book where it fits your time best. Both have 100% sightings of humpbacks.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Whale watching in Juenau and Misty Fjord for Ketchikan.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM

We were on the same itenery with Celebrity a couple of years ago. We booked some with the cruiseline and some with outside. In Juneau, my husband did a hike on Mendahall glacier and booked with outside company. No problems and he had a great time. In Icey Straight we booked through the cruise line, I think you have to. Husband did the zipline and loved it. In Ketchekan, we booked with outside company for a Misty Fjords tour. It's easy to search for outside tour companies and most are set up to work with the cruise line. Have fun.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM

We booked all of our activities independently 3 years ago - mostly with BudgetQueen's advice! You won't save much, but it adds up over the duration of the cruise, times 5 people. I think you get better experiences, too. In Icy Strait Point, we chartered a private boat for whale watching and it was just our family, the captain and his wife. My husband still talks about what a great time we had, like going with friends who know the area. http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/ We saw whales up close and personal, and the kids fished for - and caught - salmon on the way back in. You won't find much in ISP if you don't book an excursion.

We did a glacier helicopter tour in Juneau that was supposed to be dogsledding but that was canceled due to fog. Apparently this is quite common. Dogsledding camp is at a higher elevation, but they could still take us to a lower point on the glacier. Spaces are limited, so reservations are a must. http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/dog_sled_tours.html

One of the best yet least expensive things we did was visit the govt.-supported salmon hatchery in Juneau, a 10 minute taxi ride from town and maybe $2 to enter. Fascinating to watch hundreds if not thousands of salmon jumping up the fish ladders.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM

I have always been told that it is safer to book through the cruise line; they are then responsible if your tour is late and you are stuck if you miss the boat on a private tour. This of course tends to make you a captive audience for whatever mercenary commercial tricks that the tour operator -apparently through either collusion with or poor oversight by the cruise line - may want to include on your excursion. Our best tours have been ones that we arranged independantly. The worst have been some booked through cruise lines where 25 - 30% otf the tour have been spent as captives of the guide in favored commercial establishments. I have seen tours cut short in very interesting places to get to these favored places. I have seen our guide behind the counter selling things. To be honest, I have had the same experience on occasion with private operators, but not nearly as often. I really think that cruise lines have a real moral and ethical obligation to clean up their excursion act.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM

We did a combination of excursions through the cruiseline and independently booked excursions. Since you are a big group, you might also want to investigate the Toursaver Coupon book. Sometimes there are 2-for-1 coupons for flightseeing and other interesting excursions that more than cover the cost of the booklet. http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/alaska-deals/ The tour operators are usually very cognisant of the ships' schedules to ensure you'll return in time.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Here is my 2 bits worth. Shore excursion is cheaper when you book independently from the cruise line, except in Alaska. The savings is not that much, but you do get better personalise service plus more time and control.

Only negative is you will have to find those who are reputable and you have do your home work.

Other negative is if you run into problems, you are on your own. If you are late, the ship won't wait.