Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Ever get left behind by the ship? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ever-get-left-behind-by-the-ship-232619/)

Alice Twain Jun 19th, 2002 12:36 PM

Ever get left behind by the ship?

I always heard stories about people not making it back from sight-seeing and missing the cruise ship.<BR><BR>I just returned from a cruise with my husband and two children (teens). Our teenage boys did their own thing in port and were supposed to meet us at the gangplank 20 minutes before departure. Well our kids never made it, so my husband and I had to stay there and it was very hard to see the ship leave without you.<BR><BR>Our kids came about an hour later. All 4 of us had to fly to the next port (which was a story in itself).<BR><BR>Has anyone else gotten left behind?

Peter Jun 19th, 2002 12:43 PM

A legend spawned by the cruise lines to help sell their excursions and put more money in their coffers.

Joanne Jun 19th, 2002 01:41 PM

finally, my friends and I are legends because we were left in Cozumel, after partying in C & C and forgot to look at our watches. we were about 30 minutes late. thanks for making us legends Pipi

Stan Jun 19th, 2002 02:16 PM

Its never happened to me, but on our last cruise, we were just pulling away from the dock in St Thomas. A cab comes racing down the dock and stops about 50 yards from where the gang plank had been. These to gals pile out, loaded down with several shopping bags. yelling "THATS OUR SHIP THATS OUR SHIP COME BACK!!!!" We are about 100 feet out as they are running down the dock, They are looking up at us with this "what do I do know " look...<BR> I figured since we were only feet from the dock they would stop, but nope,,,we just moved on out as they stood at the end of the dock pacing back and forth.<BR>We did find out later they caught a small boat that caught up to us later.

ontime Jun 19th, 2002 06:46 PM

Hard to figure how people are dumb enough to be left behind. The ship gives ample warning about what time they leave a port.If you don't heed the warning, then suffer.<BR>It's not like a ship pulls out an hour or two early, leaving you behind.<BR>When you fly to your cruise destination and the alrline schedule says departure is(exp.)8 a.m., do you show up at 9?<BR>Not likely.(though with most airlines you will not leave on time)

Paul Therault Jun 19th, 2002 08:34 PM

It is not stupidity it is just the lack of proper planning when one is on vacation and having a great time.<BR><BR>As a rule of thumb it is best to go with the ship's tours since if someting happens on the tour the ship will wait. Anything unforeseen can happen.<BR><BR>If you go off on your own it is best to plan to get back to the ship at least 2 hours before the return time.<BR><BR>Missing the ship happens very frequently. If it is just by a few minutes the port agent or harbormaster can get you on a boat (expensive) to catch up to the ship. The ship will stop temporarily.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

antipaul Jun 20th, 2002 04:05 AM

Paul wrote, "As a rule of thumb it is best to go with the ship's tours..."<BR><BR>Paul must work for a cruiseline.

Kerry Jun 20th, 2002 04:17 AM

I disagree with Paul. The people that miss the ship are either stupid or drunk (such as Joanne at Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel).<BR><BR>I agree, if you are late at an airport you should expect to miss the plane (even if sometimes you get lucky and the plane is still there). Cruise ships are the same. If you show up after the time designated for departure, you should get stuck behind.

rusty simpson Jun 20th, 2002 09:05 AM

I bet this is a big problem on Carnival.

Bart Jun 20th, 2002 09:22 AM

Why would Carnival experience this (people missing the ship) more than another cruise line?<BR><BR>Maybe Rusty was implying that Carnival has more drunks?

Duh Jun 20th, 2002 09:30 AM

Bart<BR><BR>Keen observation boy!<BR><BR>People who miss the boat after being told what time it will leave or dimwits of the first magnitude, and that's pretty dimmy!

ontime Jun 20th, 2002 08:17 PM

Whether you want to believe it or not, there is something to be said for what Paul said about the ships tours.<BR><BR>First of all, if a ships tour is late coming back, it normally involves several passengers, not 1 or 2.<BR><BR>Secondly, if a ships tour is late, the ship knows WHERE you are and USUALLY has been notified that a tour is coming, but late.<BR><BR>Thirdly, if 1 or 2 passengers are late, how do they know it and if they did, how would they know where to start looking for them, or when ,if at all, they might decide to show up?<BR>There is something to be said for ships tours, as well as something to be said for doing it on your own.I have done both, depending where,etc. If I go on my own, I know I am responsible to be back on time and have never missed the boat yet.<BR>

Paul Therault Jun 21st, 2002 12:17 AM

I know of a person that heads a large corporation. He rented a jeep somewhere in outer mongolia and got stuck in the mud. Rather than leave it he was more concerned in getting the jeep back to the company than missing the ship. He chose to bring the jeep back to the company. He was not stupid, just concerned.<BR><BR>He considered catching up with the ship an adventure. Met quite a few local natives and had the time of his life. <BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Joe Jun 21st, 2002 10:38 AM

I was never left behind. I am smart.

Joanne Jun 21st, 2002 10:44 AM

We had a great time after mising the ship. we ended up staying 3 weeks longer at an allinclusive resort. the ship we were on was the Sun Princess

later Jun 21st, 2002 01:06 PM

I have to figure that anyone so dumb as to miss a ship after being warned repeatedly when sailing time is should be left and whatever befalls them, tough.

Paul Therault Jun 21st, 2002 11:11 PM

I believe we are talking about misfortunes here not dumb people.<BR><BR>Paul

xx Aug 20th, 2002 11:50 AM

Almost missed a ship in Nice. Posted sailing time was 6:00pm, and the line for the tenders was huge at 5:00pm.<BR><BR>The tenders were operated by a contractor who said he was not permitted to operate after 6:00pm although he had at least two more boatloads to board.<BR><BR>Princess had no representatives on shore so we wound up seeing our ship sail off to Barcelona without us.<BR><BR>Not a fun situation. We were able to get a port agent to contact the ship. The ship arranged for its own tenders so we finally boarded at about 9:00pm. We were warmly greeted by the Captain and were all treated as celebrities.<BR><BR>A great ending.

Rick Aug 20th, 2002 06:31 PM

I was on the Milli last year in Venice when a lady came running towards the ship after it had pulled away from the pier. The ship did not stop. She was lucky to find a local boater who followed the ship and eventually transfered her to the harbour masters boat.<BR><BR>I'm sure some people are just unluckly but we met people on the ship who were eating at her table, she was always late for dinner... my guess is she fit in the stupid category.<BR><BR>Accidents will happen but you simply need to know where you are and how long it will take to get back to the ship. Always err on the side of arriving early.

clocks Aug 20th, 2002 07:59 PM

Some people think that when they board a ship, the cruise line is responsible for everything from then until disembarkation.<BR>If they take a shower, the steward must be there to hand them a towel. When they wake up, their breakfast and coffee should be there.<BR>If they use the bathroom someone should be there to ---well .<BR>You have to take some responsibility for yourself. The ship gives ample information regarding the ports, departure times, etc. If you can't make it, tough. One should have enough common sense to plan according to the ships departure, not what they as an individual want to do.