Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Equinox Ultimate Caribbean cruise : Must do excursions / trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/equinox-ultimate-caribbean-cruise-must-do-excursions-trips-900287/)

Lordy Jul 26th, 2011 03:37 AM

Equinox Ultimate Caribbean cruise : Must do excursions / trips

Hi there,
we will be on the Equinox in January and will be visiting the following ports: Cozumel, Roatan, Puerto Limo, Colon, Cartagena and George Town.
What are your must sees and dos?
We would like 1 beach day but for the rest would prefer to be out and about looking at the scenery and sights, having a drink or two and shopping. We usually stay out for lunch and like to see as much as possible. Not into museums at all.
My husband and I are in our 40's and want to make the most of the ports.
Look forward to your replies
Donna
Australia

doug_stallings Jul 26th, 2011 05:20 AM

Although Grand Cayman has excellent beaches, I think the Stingray City snorkeling trip is among the best things you can do, and that's what I'd recommend. I'd probably do the beach in Roatan unless you are divers.

In Puerto Limon you can go on a zipline excursion. In Colon, you can go to see the Panama Canal locks, and in Cartagena, you can enjoy the historic city and take a horse and carriage ride. Those would be my top picks.

Lordy Jul 26th, 2011 01:42 PM

Thanks Doug.
I will have a good look at the shore excursions offered again.
We usually do our own thing and only book 1 or 2 excursions with the ship, but are a bit hesitant doing things on our own in some of these ports. ( Not worried about Cozumel and Grand Cayman )
We are not divers so the beach in Roatan sounds good.
Any other tips would be appreciated.
Donna

qwovadis Jul 27th, 2011 04:00 AM

personally find it best in all ports to find a like
minded couple hire a driver/guide from $35-50/half day
do my own excursions less crowded cheaper more fun.

cruiscritic.com detailed reviews on your ports

Cozumel best beach Peurto Limon and Colon are very dodgy

careful there get trip insurance do not wander around the

port areas solo.... www.quotewright.com from PL best for me

www.arenal.net the erupting volcano tabacon.com hot springs

tour... Canal from Colon best... Have fun,

doug_stallings Jul 27th, 2011 04:55 AM

I think you're better off using the ship excursion in Puerto Limon and Colon, but anywhere else you're fine on your own. If you do Stingray City in the morning first thing, you still have time to hit Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman in the afternoon. You can easily take a taxi or a public jitney bus there from George Town.

Lordy Jul 28th, 2011 04:32 AM

Thanks qwovadis,
I will check out the sites you mentioned.
Doug,we will stick to ship's excursions especially in Colon and Puerto Limon. How is Roatan to get around?
I think we will stick close to where the port is after excursions. ( We do usually wander around ourselves )
We have been to the Caribbean and Mexico before so feel comfortable about Cozumel and Grand Caymen.
Is seven mile beach a must do?
Is there a certain part which is lrss quiet?
Thanks
Donna
Thanks again