early/late dinner in the ship dinning room

Nov 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

early/late dinner in the ship dinning room

i was wondering what time it was best to eat in teh diningroom. i was told early to see good shows, and i was also told late was good so you are not rushing. i need some advise. i am traveling with 5 other friends!
Nov 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Some lines now offer open seating - come when you want. That would be good for you as you can decide each day. Otherwise, we have always had the early seating - about 6 PM - and had no problem with the shows - such as they are.
Nov 30th, 2008, 12:17 AM

We prefer late seating. It gives you more time to relax and dress after visiting the places/ports etc.
Many cruiselines now often give shows before late seating diner.
Nov 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM

We also prefer 2nd seating. We don't have to rush back from shore to shower & change for dinner. We can relax, we can get in the hot tub, meet friends before dinner in a lounge and listen to music there. There are always two shows that are exactly the same so you don't miss anything. It doesn't matter what time you eat at home, there is always food available to eat or just snack on. I often go to the buffet when it opens and have gotten fantastic, big shrimp, cheese, etc. to snack on before dinner. And 2nd seating for us! (Did do 1st once and didn't like it at all!)
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:29 AM

There are shows after each seating so you will not miss anything. It may be difficult with 6 people to factor into the decision however. My advice is to come to a concensus about what would be best for everyone. Personally we prefer 1st seating but if you like to be up late,hit the clubs and boogie all night then 2nd would be better. For me I am so used to getting up early for work that by 2200 or so I'm sleepy. . Cheers, Larry
Jan 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM

The Serenade now has anytime dining. I was just on at xmas time and noticed it.

I prefer the early seating and so does my family.

The question is would you rather eat at 6 or 8:30. If anytime dining is an option you might want that.
Jan 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM

We just got off the Celebrity Constellation which had a different schedule. Theirs was:
Main dinner seating at 6, evening entertainment at 8:45 or 9
Late dinner seating at 8:45, evening entertainment at 7.

Mar 31st, 2009, 05:25 AM

We prefer main seating (early) since it'd generally when we eat at home. We never feel rushed and we get to see the shows and enjoy other activities during the evening
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM

We always prefer the late seating just for convenience but it does kill the appetite for the midnight buffet. One of our favorite activities is having a drink in the crow's nest (or equivalent) while watching the ship pull out of port and that often conflicts with the early seating. Also, we make contact with the people who have our seats in the early seating and will offer to exchange with them a couple of nights during the cruise for for a little variety. But as you can see from the prior posts, is it mostly personal preference.