Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Dubrovnik Excusursion (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/dubrovnik-excusursion-312745/)

anitafla May 1st, 2003 01:06 PM

Dubrovnik Excusursion

My cruise will be stopping in Dubrovnik and I am not sure if I should take the excursion that the cruise ship offers or if I can go alone, or is it worth it to get a private guide. All I really want to do is to walk around the city. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Indymajic May 3rd, 2003 02:35 PM

We might be shipmates. My wife and I are going on a cruise from Venice, the end of August. Our first stop is Dubrovnik, I believe we are going to do an excursion, but we are going to wait, and see the videos they show of past excursions. If we see one we think we'll like, we'll do it. I am looking foward to some of the other replys you get. Have a great trip.

Penguin May 6th, 2003 01:00 PM

I am going on a cruise - Millenium - with the first stop being Dubrovnik and will be back mid June. We are planning to do it on our own however I will post our experiences when I return.

anitafla May 7th, 2003 03:00 AM

Penguin,

After looking over the excursion options on the ship I decided that I can do Dubrovnik on my own. I've also decided to do Corfu, Venice and Mykonos on my own. The only tours I will take will be in Olympia and Istanbul. My only problem with their Istanbul excursion is that it is 7 hours and you go back to the ship to eat lunch. I am considering hiring a guide for Istanbul and as I want to get the city's flavor and, of course, have lunch there and not back on the ship.

Will be interested in hearing about your trip when you return.

charli May 7th, 2003 03:25 AM

You might look at portcompass.com and see if they offer any excursions to any of your ports. We used them for some of the ports on our recent South America cruise and they did a great job. Sometimes other people on your cruise have contacted them as well and you can join them at a reduced cost for all.

Ivod May 7th, 2003 10:49 AM

I live in Dubrovnik, Your port of call. As I see daily, ships spend usally a morning or (and) early afternoon in Dubrovnik. If Your ships is on anchor fron of town, then You'll be transfered directly to old city without wasting time for bus transport. If it will be dock in new harbour, You ll be transfered to old town by bus, which can take a bit longer time just becouse heavy traffic on city roads. I know about excursions around but You'll probably decide to stay in old town and explore museums, galeries, churches , shops, city walls, etc. If You have more questions fell free to wirte me on [email protected]

anitafla May 7th, 2003 03:43 PM

Charli,

Thanks for the website. I just e-mailed them to see if they have any excursions in Istanbul.

Ivod,
I will probably stay in town and see the museums and just walk around to see the culture. Thank you for your e-mail address as I just might need your assistance. Thanks so much.