Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   DRESS CODE (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/dress-code-65599/)

Frank J Mar 16th, 2000 03:34 PM

DRESS CODE

What clothing would you consider for the "informal" dress code?

Ann Mar 16th, 2000 06:29 PM

Slacks - like khaki and a collared shirt - no tie.

merriem Mar 17th, 2000 04:54 AM

We recently came back from a 17 day cruise in which there were two names for types of clothes, "formal" and "smart casual". Everyone got the "formal" part, but I liked the "smart casual" as to me it was a mixed bag. Some people dressed up, and others were more informal.....It meant that the guys didn't have to wear a tie except for the three formal nights. The passengers liked it.

Michael Mar 22nd, 2000 07:53 AM

To me, informal means suit and tie for men (NO TUX). Informal is not an excuse to look like a ragamuffin!

JIm Mar 28th, 2000 05:21 AM

Lord, I'm glad I don't work for Michael if a suit and tie is considered "informal"! Lighten up, dude. It's a vacation... I think one can look very smart (NOT like a ragamuffin!) in khakis and a polo shirt.

Tommy Mar 28th, 2000 07:23 AM

Ragamuffin? <BR>What century is this?

Charles Mar 28th, 2000 07:41 PM

Check with your cruise line. If your cruise line has three dress evenings, then in most cases, Formal is Tux, Informal is Coat and tie, and Casual is open collard shirt (or polo style) with casual pants like khaki. In most cruise brochures the dress code is explained. When in doubt, "dress up" (it is easier to remove a tie then feel uncomfortable and "under dressed"). Most importantly, enjoy your cruise!

jm1 Apr 4th, 2000 03:41 PM

The truth is ... it's impossible to get 2,000 passengers to agree on what is formal, informal and casual. I've yet to see a passenger refused dinner in the dining room because they weren't wearing a jacket on formal nights. That being said - it's nice to dress the part of the evening. If you want to do that and yet be comfortable, I would say that formal can be a dark suit and tie, informal a sportsjacket with or without a tie, and casual is a polo shirt and khakis. As for women - a black long sheath is great for all three!

Terry Apr 5th, 2000 04:37 PM

My husband is Mr. GQ but he is also very cool about packing, and knowing what to where to what. We sailed on Mercury in early February and for our informal nights he wore a nice pair of slacks, dress shirt, no tie, sports coat - very sporty yet dressed up. If you have questions for him, you can email this same address and I'll pass them along to him. Believe me - I've been married to him forever and he's always the one that's dressed right and looking cooler than anyone else in the room. Terry

Sam Apr 5th, 2000 07:05 PM

Terry- I also sailed the Mercury and read the brochure before we left. It indicated that informal for men was shirt, tie, slacks and coat. We saw only a few (less than 10) men who were not wearing ties on informal nights. It was clear to us what to wear. Bottom line is, that everyone enjoy the cruise. Tie or no tie is not the issue. The cruise line gave the "guide line" of what informal was for men and it was tie and coat...just to set the record straight on Celebrity dress code.

Roy Apr 6th, 2000 12:29 PM

Formal means a Tuxedo or a dark suit and tie. Informal means a suit, tie or sport coat and tie. Casual means slacks and a shirt. Casual does not mean shorts and a polo shirt. I just got back from a cruise on Celebrity Century. I was very disappointed in the number of people who chose not to adhere to the dress codes. Celebrity should take a position that says, there are many alternative places to eat on a ship the size of Century. If you don't want to dress to the code, then don't go to the Grand Dining Room.

Frank Apr 6th, 2000 08:05 PM

I agree with Charles, Terry and Roy.I Have been on three Celebrity cruises and it was pretty clear: On a Celebrity Ship, Formal is Tux or Drak Suit with tie, Informal is Slacks, Coat and Tie, and Causual is slacks, shit and no coat or tie is necessry, but many men also wear sport coat on causal nights. I know of other cruise lines that have a different dress code and those which only have two "dress" evenings are a little more felxable on informal/casual. Celebrity has a clear dress code...I agree with Roy, people should know it and adhear to it.

Frank Apr 6th, 2000 08:09 PM

I agree with Charles, Terry and Roy. I have been on three Celebrity cruises and it is clear that Formal is Tux or Dark Suit with tie, Informal is slacks, Coat and tie, and causal is slacks (not shorts or levis) with shirt (some men wear sport coats on casual nights with no tie. Get with the program people

Kathy Apr 7th, 2000 04:54 AM

Sorry, I have to disagree with the last few posters. I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises and on informal nights, I saw very few men with ties and even less with sport coats. Most wore just a shirt and nice slacks. Too much is made of dress on cruises and it's an argument that could be debated forever. As long as someone looks nice and neat, what difference does it make if they have a jacket and tie. The cruises lines suggestions are just guidelines, not carved in stone. I can't believe so many make such a big deal over such a small issue. It's your vacation and people should be comfortable. You're never going to get everyone to agree on this issue, so go, enjoy, wear what you're comfortable in and don't worry about everyone else.

Kathy Apr 7th, 2000 05:01 AM

I have to disagree with the last few posters. I've been on 4 Celebrity cruises (the last one in August) and on informal nights, I saw very few men with ties and even less with sport coats. Most wore a nice shirt and slacks. It amazes me that this is such a big issue with people. The cruise line's suggestions are simply guidelines, not carved in stone. As long as people look nice and neat, what possible difference can a tie and jacket make? No one is ever going to agree on this subject so I so go, enjoy, wear what makes you comfortable and don't worry so much about everyone else. We've been on a total of 16 cruises so we do have some experience. Lighten up, guys!

merriem Apr 7th, 2000 05:17 AM

After cruising many times, I must say that I feel really sorry for those guys on vacations that have to put on a coat and tie (on informal nights)....I have seen (and on Celebrity) many well attired gentlemen with nice polo shirts and dress slacks......Good taste of course applies, but I respectfully disagree with all the "dressing up" on informal nights.

Roy Apr 7th, 2000 10:26 AM

Merriem, Kathy, <BR> <BR>Part of the cruising experience is participating in the elegance, romance and grandeur of the great ships. Dressing for the occasion is paramount in contributing to the ambiance of the evening. I don’t get too concerned about what people wear on casual nights, but I do feel “Formal nights” and even “Informal dress nights” are special. It’s not a matter of lightening up; it’s what we enjoy. As odd as it may seem, many men and women actually enjoy dressing up for the evening dinner and shows. We enjoy fine food and wine, dancing and romancing. These special moments seem to be trivialized when you’re in the grand dining room sharing a table with half the people dressed formally in a Tuxedo and others are dressed in slacks, shirt (no tie) and a sport jacket. <BR> <BR>If I wanted to knock around in shorts and polo shirts I’d take a Disney or Carnival Cruise. I’d expect to feel comfortable in shorts and a polo shirt on those lines. On a cruise line like Carnival, I’d expect lots of kids to be roaming the ship and moms and dads and kids dressed casually and comfortably. More often than not, if I were concerned about vacationing comfortably, I’d fly to my destination, rent a car and wear my jeans and sneakers or sandals and do my own thing. Maybe I expect too much, but when I pay a few extra bucks and choose a line such as Celebrity or Princess, I look forward to a degree of decorum and respectability in how people dress. <BR> <BR>Perhaps we should try Crystal Cruise line. Anyone have any experience with this issue on Crystal? <BR>

merriem Apr 7th, 2000 01:54 PM

Roy, you sound like you are going to the Prom and not on a vacation. First of all we are not in disagreement about formal nights, but this is a vacation. I have been on a lot of cruises, and yes, people should be dressed in "good taste".....but come on, lighten up just a little. Does this mean that all women have to dig out those panty hose, or can we sneak by with bare legs, or knee highs. You are taking this much too seriously. Why in the world would you be in a tux and other table mates in tee shirts.......that's pushing the issue. Again, I think most people go on vacation......a cruise vacation....to enjoy good food, hopefully pleasant company.....and get away from it all. Also as to your comments about Crystal, it is becoming more casual all the time. We were on Windstar.....not too shabby....not too cheap.....and not even a sports jacket was required. Now, we love good food and great wine, but now....You sound like the rest of us are a bunch of hicks!

Jerry Apr 7th, 2000 07:07 PM

We agree with Roy that it is important to follow the simple gidelines set in the curise brochure. I have been on both the Celebrity Century and Mercury and Informal for men is clearly slacks, coat and tie. It does however depend on WHERE you are. In Europe, we only saw a few men on an informal night without a tie, also on an Alaska cruise, dress up is more abundant. If you are in the Caribbean you will see many more men in open collar shirts with slacks on an "informal" night and fewer Tux. Frankly, we like the dress up on both formal and informal nights. When in doubt, call your cruise line and ask. If you feel more comfortable in casual, check out alterative dining on your ship. Most of all, enjoy your cruise! Have fun

pvh Apr 10th, 2000 05:50 PM

We have also been on 2 Celebrity cruises: Alaska and Southern Caribbean. There is a definite difference in the attire at the two. Even though the people were 'scruffier' during the day in Alaska, they seemed to dress a little more in the evening. My husband does not like to "dress up", but he did enjoy the formal nights--in a dark suit--not a tux. I found the formal nights to be almost magical--I would see people I had seen during the day (rather haggard); and, then at night, ravishing. I am definitely for the dress code. If nothing else, it gives us women more of a reason to shop.